Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sway bar link replaced

Old 10-19-2007, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar link replaced

I have 4600 miles on my unlimited sahra. At about 2600 miles I noticed a clanking noise coming from the front, but wasn't sure what side. I searched a lot underneath trying to find the source, and thought it was the sway bar itself at one point.

I took it into the dealer earlier this week and took the service manager for a ride. He aggreed there was a noise, and we got a tech to lay on the ground under the front while he and I shook the jeep back and forth quite heavily. The tech identified the culprit as the front right sway bar link.

It wasn't loose. In fact, I asked him to try and tighten it after reading on these forums about folks having to tighten up the suspension. In my case, the top link joint itself was broken.

They replaced the link, no more noise!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:45 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmm, I wonder if the break occured because it was loose? Either way, I'm glad to hear your dealer fixed it for you
Old 10-28-2007, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Problem is back

Well, after the dealer replaced the link, my noise was gone.

Until Thursday. :( Took the Jeep off-road again, did some faily aggressive stuff for a stock Jeep, and the noise is back. I'm not sure if it is the link or not since I can't imagine it breaking AGAIN, but it is the same noise.

Its a clanking sound that happens when going over bumps. Sometimes it will happen once when climbing into the Jeep. Frustrating. I'm going to have to go back to the dealer.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Make sure that the sway bar link is tight enough. This may cause the noise. You might also check the rest of the suspension bolts to make sure that they are not loose.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHighAko
Well, after the dealer replaced the link, my noise was gone.

Until Thursday. :( Took the Jeep off-road again, did some faily aggressive stuff for a stock Jeep, and the noise is back. I'm not sure if it is the link or not since I can't imagine it breaking AGAIN, but it is the same noise.

Its a clanking sound that happens when going over bumps. Sometimes it will happen once when climbing into the Jeep. Frustrating. I'm going to have to go back to the dealer.
That stinks. Did you disconnect when you were wheeling it? If the links aren't 100% tight, you will get clanking sounds from the swaybar. That may not be what it is, but I know I experienced that a few times before I got my hands on some quick discos....
Old 10-28-2007, 07:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

I got some FT discos and now they just click all the time. Not sure what I really gained, but I will look at getting some JKS someday.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
I got some FT discos and now they just click all the time. Not sure what I really gained, but I will look at getting some JKS someday.
Hehe, yup. If you grease them up well, they won't click too badly. The full-traction discos can be a real PITA-- pulling the pins and disconnecting is pretty quick, but getting reconnected.... well, that's a whole nother story.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Yes, a real knuckle buster, in the literal sense.

Quick Reply: Sway bar link replaced