Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Swap in a new engine, how long?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thanks duneslider for the pics and taking the time...the ring end gap looks horrible...were the rings ends all lined up like that when you pulled them out? if you want to you can remove the rings..install them about half way down in the cylinder and use a feeler gauge to check ring end gap...you may also be able to rent the tool to check cylinder out of roundness..AutoZone rents tools free but i don't know if they have the tool for it...i have used them before but can't think of the official name if it, it also looks like you're head gasket may have been leaking some compression..just a guess looking at the markings on the heads. I'm not sure which head is which but the middle cylinder in one if then looks like it was getting some pre ignition/detonation...is that combustion chamber all pitted? Possibly from a lean condition, or oil getting into the fuel lowering the octane? I thought i remember you saying you're engine was getting spark knock? If so that definitely wasn't helping. Either way though it is all good info to have. thank you for going the extra mile for the info!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

I will take a closer look on the heads but there is so much carbon buildup I kind of doubt there is pitting but I will try to clean the carbon off and check.

I will check around for a bore gauge but am a little doubtful.

I will also pull some rings off and check ring gap. And yes, all the ring gaps were lined up when I pulled the pistons.

I did have a head gasket leak.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

man..i have the lifetime powertrain and lifetime bumper to bumper but honestly i dont think it means sh*t when it comes to the dealers. I had a spark knock issue for 10k with 5 trips to the dealer and no resolution..got superchips and have been running 91 octane/91 tune with no ping..engine runs GREAT now and doesnt consume much oil. only at 27,500 miles though. I have a feeling down the road my 3.8L will choke and die (early 2008 motor) and the dealer will give me the run around, and ill either have to find another 3.8L, or a hemi/LS motor..just sucks that this is probably inevitable for me.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

From what I have seen, I would keep an eye on the pcv. I think it contributes, a catch can may be worth considering.

I personally think 5w20 (especially synthetic) is not the right choice. I am running 5w30 GTX on my new motor.

I think combustion cleaner is probably a wise idea whether you use mopar's or seafoam or something else.

Just a few of my opinions.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

for 12000k ive been running techron 2 times before each oil change..we'll see what happens i guess..those pics are scary as sh*t

Quick Reply: Swap in a new engine, how long?