Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Swap in a new engine, how long?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duneslider
If you have room to store an engine, there are great deals to be had out there right now.

I am going to try to take lots of pictures and do a little write up.

So far, biggest piece of advice if you plan on keeping your jk for a long time, find a factory service manual. I can't believe how much info is in there!
I have tried so much to find one for the JK... where can i find one please??
Old 09-08-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0047.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	208524

Not the greatest picture but until I pull it out of the truck that's the best I will have.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by duneslider
Attachment 208524

Not the greatest picture but until I pull it out of the truck that's the best I will have.
That DOES look new!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Just thought I would throw up a few pics of the new engine. Pulled it out of the back of my truck today and it gave me a chance to take a few better pictures. I haven't seen many pictures of the engine online and thought it might be nice to have some to look at.

Looks like it will be into October before I can have the time to swap the engines. Things are busy right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0052.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	212389Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0050.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	212390Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0049.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	212391
Old 09-18-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Would you consider a write-up?

It would be awesome if you could use this opportunity for a write-up. We know that many of us are going to be in the same boat as you in no time (if they had not already blown thier engines that were out of warranty). I know this would add to your work, but would be great if at all possible.

Thank you and good luck with the install!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

since this is your first swap the age of digital will help you out - take a lot of pictures. break them down to each section and be sure to get close-ups so you can tell what you're looking at. top, sides, front, bottom half both sides etc...

everything always takes longer than planned. I suspect just prepping the old one to pull will take the better part of a day.

start prepping any rusted bolts for removal by spraying them with penetrating fluid a few days before to allow the spray to work

Assuming engine is a direct replacement- same ECU, wiring harness?

As you take parts off, take them off carefully and tag them where they came from (pics) - you will need to reuse some components, brackets etc...

make a check list of parts you'll want to have on hand before you start, sample:

rubber gloves to put on under your mechanix - it sucks when your hands are all greasy and you're trying to handle smaller parts.

get new belts and hoses - don't put the old stuff back on.

check your plug wires and plugs, get new if they are still originals.

Don't forget the fluids, oil, coolant, trans fluid, brake fluid (just in case) what you don't use you can take back (just don't get it all greasy)

Engine area paint - while you have everything out, clean and fix any rust that might be starting to show.

parts cleaner, degreaser

plenty of shop rags

take your time, think twice - do it once....

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Jeeeep,

Thanks for the comments, a lot of good tips and a few that I hadn't thought of.

As far as I can tell and as far as I have been able to discover, the engine should be a direct swap. I have an 07 3.8 and this engine is from a 2011 JK 3.8. Wiring harness should be the same from what I can tell.

I was planning on new radiator hoses but figured I would reuse the heater hoses but they aren't too expensive so I will probably go ahead and buy some new ones. Planned on a new belt too.

Good idea on the paint, hadn't thought about that at all. I will grab a couple of rattle cans to keep on hand.

Jeep_in,

I will take lots of pictures and I will be following the Factory Service Manual. The manual is GREAT! I will do a write-up of sorts. There is a lot of info in the manual and I don't know if I have time to re-type everything found there. I do want to do something that will benefit someone else who might be attempting this their first time but a full blown write-up might not happen.

So far the biggest obstacle for me has been trying to make sure I have all the "tools" I need to do the job. I have a nice set of tools but there are little things I don't have, such as a fuel line disconnect tool. Not an expensive tool but one that is needed. I think I am about there with getting my ducks all lined up and ready to go.

Thanks for all the tips so far!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

I thought about headers but from what I gather the only ones worth doing are the ripp headers and they cost a fortune and I don't know if its worth it.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ludski

yah thats true. borla and ripp seem to be best ones. and they are both around $1000.
Ripp does not manufacture super chargers. They use vortec sc who is located out of Oxnard, ca. It just so happens that Borla is based out of Oxnard too. I bet Borla makes the header for RIPP and lets them put their name on it.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

air tools would make a night and day differance if you had them, a manual and id say atleast a 30 pack! would help to , as long as you take your time lebal everything that comes off i dont see why in 8-10 hrs you couldnt have it up and running goodluck!

Quick Reply: Swap in a new engine, how long?