Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Swap in a new engine, how long?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap in a new engine, how long?

Hey all, I have an 07 with a blown head gasket and the engine has also always been an oil burner, has the spark knock issue, and the water pump is leaking, not to mention an oil leak (thinking rear main but not certain). I am working on getting a used engine that doesn't have any issues, its left over from a hemi swap.

Anyway, how long do you think it would take to pull an engine and put the replacement back in? I haven't done a swap before. I did pull an engine out of a truck in an evening but we were just clipping wires without any cares.

Thanks for any input!
Bryan
Old 08-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Have you not taken it to a dealership to try and warranty out the motor? How many miles on it?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

It's an easy swap

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2400233433.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	198252
Old 08-17-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

schedule a weekend for it, get most of it done on saturday, finish the little things on sunday then break out the beer and fire up the grill to feed the help. (This will also work for most things that you need help for)

Last edited by slider_68; 08-17-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys, it doesn't look like a really tough one but it is uncharted waters for me.

The jeep has nearly 60K miles, dealer thinks it is my problem since the warranty was up at 36K. They did offer to take mine in as a trade in and sell me a new jeep.

I was going to have the head gasket fixed but then I would still be stuck with an engine that makes me wonder. So, if I can get a decent engine I might come out ahead and have a jeep that isn't an oil burner.

A couple days isn't too bad! I will need to track down an engine hoist but that should be easy. Think it is easier to pull the engine and transmission or just pull the engine? Once the grill and radiator is gone it should slide right out.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a motor with a spun bearing replaced with a rebuilt long-block in a vehicle a while back. Left the car in to the shop at 8AM & picked it up at 4PM that same day & in that 7-8 hours they removed the old motor, removed all the stuff from the block that they would be re-fitting to the new motor (carb, manifolds, oil/water pumps, timing cover, starter motor, alternator, etc), and then re-fitted these components to the new long block & then re-installed it in the vehicle.

Taking that the guys that did all this were trained mechanics and engine re-builders and had probably done hundreds if not thousands of engine swaps in their lives, I'd allow 2-4 times as long at least if you haven't ever done it before. So yeah as others have said, give yourself a whole weekend including a few late nights. If the replacement motor comes complete with all the manifolds and ancilliary equipment it will simplify things a lot as you won't be spending time removing all these components from the old motor & re-fitting them to the new one. Just make sure you do plenty of research first and lable all the connectors and vacuum hoses (take photos of them prior to disconnecting them too so you have a visual reference as to where they go).

As for pulling the tranny, if yours is a 6-speed then you may as well replace the clutch while you're at it.

Last edited by JKlad; 08-31-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Bryan,
If I'm not working, I'll help. It shouldn't be too bad. Just call me. I'm cheap, it will only cost you a Dr. Pepper or 2.
Kurt
Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Sweet I will take you up on any help you can give. I was gonna talk to you tonight but you were a no show.

Just waiting to hear back on the engine.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Have not done a JK but did my son's XJ this summer. It was our first engine swap but we had help from an experienced guy. Air tools made a big difference under the jeep, especially with long extensions to get at the bolts between the engine and tranny. X2 on doing your clutch while everything's apart. Plan on a weekend and a few nights.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Freak

Cool

How long? I say "long enough" to have 8 cylinders

Quick Reply: Swap in a new engine, how long?