Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sunrider top side window issue

Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunrider top side window issue

I have a 2010 JK unlimited and I just put the sunrider top on for the first time. When I have the back side windows on, the seam that fits between the rear doors doesnt stay in tight when the door is closed. I hope that makes sense, I will try to get a picture up when I can. Has anyone else had this problem and any solutions?

Thanks for any help
Old 04-10-2010, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you mean the vertical seam on the rear windows that locks into the door surrounds, you really need to push it in tight. I usually just start the zipper barely, pull that in all the way, lock in the bottom track then zip the window closed while pulling towards the back of the rig.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Yes I mean the vertical seam. On mine, there is nothing for the seam to "hang on to" and the slight curve of the door forces the top of the seam to not stay seated in between the door and the plastic frame. I have tried reinstalling the window with no avail. When I shut the door, most of the seam stays in place, its just the top few inches that dont stay put. On the highway the wind catches that part and unseats the who thing
Old 04-10-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to take pics for you to show you how to do it. I had the same issue on my 09 last summer until my husband figured it out for me, lol it is hard to explain. if i have time in the morning i will show you by pics.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a four door 08 and took my hardtop off and put on the soft top for the first time. I thought I had sunrider top, but now I am unsure. I bought the jeep used, but I don't have the middle bar shown in the video.

I can easily get it to fold in the "W" and it works fine, but I don't have velcro straps or the bar that goes in the middle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtSWLZkGf_8
Old 04-11-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same issues here today, not sure if they also need to stretch or is there is some trick I am missing.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay - after more thinking and less forcing, does the vertical part of the rear window actually tuck under the door surrounds, I tried this and it looks like it would provide a tight seal, but need some stretching.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think you have it figured out now. Yes I believe what you are describing in your last post is right. The vertical sides do slide into the groove and then bend around. My only problem is getting it to work at the top. I guess I need to stretch.

Also, I figured out my problem above. The Sunrider bar was there...just bent backwards....I had to do some manipulating and got it....I probably cussed 57 times putting the soft top on....I hope it gets better or I am going to go freedom top 365 days/year.

I love my hardtop....so far I am not to happy with soft top.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for me the soft top is a PITA. it is big and heavy and if you dont put it down right you have to relift it and flip the center bar around. then the big black straps twist around the bar. but, I also love to take the top down when its warm out, so i just deal with it, lol
(and the windows are hard to tuck into the slots inside the door, but once you do it a few times, it gets easier. it took me a whole summer to figure out why my windows kept coming undone at high speeds, haha)
if anyone wants pics of the windows and how to do it, let me know. otherwisw you tube is a good option

Quick Reply: Sunrider top side window issue