Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sunrider Soft Top Bestop® Protectant

Old 04-10-2009, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunrider Soft Top Bestop® Protectant

Is this the best stuff to use on the Sunrider tops as a protectant or is there something better? I would assume since it is from the manufacturer it is the best out there. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Don't know if it's the best stuff or not. I've used 303 for years, both on my TJ and my JK tops, and both tops have held up incredibly well despite our crappy winters with tons of road salt on the tops in winter months. I guess you use whatever you like and have luck with. Maybe someone else will chime in that has used the Bestop stuff.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:52 AM
gpb
JK Enthusiast

I hear it's fine, but the cynic in me asks: Is it in Bestop's interest to make your soft top last forever, or do they do better if you have to replace it in time?

I have seen that a lot of people like 303 protectant for soft tops; not sure how the price compares to the Besttop stuff. I bought a bottle of 303 at a nearby West Marine. I'm sure many boat stores would have it.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Detyellow2008
Is this the best stuff to use on the Sunrider tops as a protectant or is there something better? I would assume since it is from the manufacturer it is the best out there. Thanks!
i just read somewhere on here recently NOT to use this stuff, but why i don't remember....i use 303 too. works well.

found it

Stay away from the Bestop stuff (cleaner and protectant). It stained my windows and left amrks on the paint that I cannot get off. I contacted Bestop about it, they requested pics and then never returned my emails about it. Phone calls got me nowhere.

Last edited by Hbomb; 04-11-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

I have heard the 303 stuff works good. But haven't been able to find it locally.

I use Meguirs Hot Shine Foam. I honestly don't know if you should use it on a soft top or what the long term effects will have but i tried it on a small spot and i think it worked great. And now i use it on the whole top and have been for about 2 months now.

I have used armor all, blue magic leather/upholstery cleaner and tire wet and several others. They all look good when you first put them on but then after an hour or two it goes to looking like it did after it dries.

But i finally found something i think that works great. First i went inside and got a warm bucket of water and used our dishwashing liquid and scrubbed the top real good. It did get alittle extra of the dirt off. But when it dried it was still real dirty. Then i went and bought some Meguirs Hot shine tire foam. I have used this before on my tires, but also on all of my exterior plastic. Fenders, door handles, trim and bumpers. And it worked great and stayed BLACK for a long time. So i thought i would try it on the top. I did about a 3'x3' area and completely covered the area with the foam. But rather than just letting it sit and soak in on its own like you would do on the tires i took a dry, terry cloth and scrubbed/wiped it in on the top. Then in sections i did the rest of the top. It stayed nice and black for days and looks great. And so far i haven't had any problems. Like i said i am not positive of the chemicals or anything in it and the long term effect but it is doing great and i am going to keep using it. Just my .02

Here is the tire foam i used.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

someone told me to use blue coral wheel magic on my soft top would that dammage the soft top, because i tried in a small space and did the jop of getting of some mud spots but im wondering if it might dammage te top???

Quick Reply: Sunrider Soft Top Bestop® Protectant