Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sunrider to Soft Top

Old 04-13-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunrider to Soft Top

I have searched around the site, but haven't seen a thread about this, so sorry if this has already been covered. But, I have a 2007 sahara with a hard top and the sunrider. When I bought it from the dealer the sunrider was included but it didn't come with the door surrounds. I am wanting a soft top now, so can that be converted into a soft top by just buying the windows and door surrounds?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm confused...the Sunrider is a soft top. Once you have the door surrounds/windows, you have the whole soft top and it can be opened as a Sunrider (just the sunroof part open) when desired.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you buy your jeep used? I bought mine used, but didn't get all the soft top parts with it. I'm still trying to track them down from the old owner.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

I'm confused too. If you only need the door surrounds, your dealer should be able to supply them easily. Do you have the window kit? Not sure just what parts you have. Here is the surround part for a Sunrider 2 door.

Here is the window part for tinted windows.

Hope this helps you some.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

yeah, that helps a lot....I can see the confusion. I'm still a newb. I guess my basic question was, will the sunrider work as a soft top (whole package with windows) When I bought the jeep from the dealer, the sticker said dual tops. So I thought I got both the hard top and soft top. When I went to put it on, it was just the sunrider top with no windows and no door surrounds. Maybe I got ripped off from the dealer...I don't know.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by F.M.JK
yeah, that helps a lot....I can see the confusion. I'm still a newb. I guess my basic question was, will the sunrider work as a soft top (whole package with windows) When I bought the jeep from the dealer, the sticker said dual tops. So I thought I got both the hard top and soft top. When I went to put it on, it was just the sunrider top with no windows and no door surrounds. Maybe I got ripped off from the dealer...I don't know.
The sunrider is the soft top, you just didn't get the two boxes that are supposed to come with it. The thing is basically useless without the door surrounds. What makes it the "Sunrider" is its ability to be folded halfway back.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smuhhh
The sunrider is the soft top, you just didn't get the two boxes that are supposed to come with it. The thing is basically useless without the door surrounds. What makes it the "Sunrider" is its ability to be folded halfway back.

So, basically I got screwed by the dealer. I haven't used the sunrider yet and it's been two years. I can't argue that with the dealer.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by F.M.JK
X10 if the sticker said "dual tops" and lists the sunrider, the sunrider IS the entire softtop and you should have all the required components as such. this definetly includes the door surrounds and 3 piece window set. other wise you only got the "one and a half top" option.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scottrock
X10 if the sticker said "dual tops" and lists the sunrider, the sunrider IS the entire softtop and you should have all the required components as such. this definetly includes the door surrounds and 3 piece window set. other wise you only got the "one and a half top" option.
I appreciate all the replies! I'll try and work it out with the dealer...probably with no luck...thanks again guys.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

yup, sounds like you got screwed by the dealer...from reading posts on here it sounds like this happens more often than it should....try going back to the dealer and explaining what happened....you never know...if they don't do anything then threaten to call chrysler if they are a 5-star dealership....they covet that status quite a bit and might budge if you are threatening to call the home office about them and their service....

Quick Reply: Sunrider to Soft Top