Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sunrider question

Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunrider question

09 4dr

put the softop in "sunrider mode" for the first time this wknd

cruising the back roads and around town no problems

jumped up on the interstate this morning 70/75mph and it caught air, turned into a parachute...

not really, but the fold did catch air and the upper most portion raised up 2 feet or so (just the fabric, not the bows). Surely there is something i was supposed to have done that would prevent this? Is there a strap or something that I wasn't aware of? I can only imagine how stupid it must've looked to other drivers

Last edited by 85CJ7 Stroker; 08-03-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

You should've gotten two velcro straps with your Jeep. Check the glove box, that's where mine were, in a clear plastic bag. Your instruction manual will show you where to strap them.

Also, make sure you don't unlatch those side clamps above the doors, or you will have one helluva time getting the header latches closed when you put the Sunrider back up. Ask me how I know.

Jason
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, i got those and strapped them to the bows to hold them down, but the folds in the fabric got air into it and still managed to make a pocket. It didn't appear to be under any stress and wasn't flapping or really making any noise at all. But once air got between the folds, that was it. Top folded lifted up and the bottom fold stayed down.

Again, the bows themselves stayed in place (thanks I'm sure to the velcro straps)
Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you sure that you folded it properly? The sides of the top (where the drip rails are) should make a zig-zag shape, and not be folded right in half. Look at the second picture on pg 180 of your manual. The drip rails ought to form a "W" shape. If it's just a "V", it's not folded right.

Jason
Old 08-03-2009, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Yep, that's it, perfect "W" And it's that void between the two V's (or two U's which make it a double U) is where the air got into and lifted the top V up... Just drove home for lunch and took the back roads, no problem, but I'm a little nervous about getting back on the interstate...
Old 08-03-2009, 09:52 AM
gpb
JK Enthusiast

Very weird, sounds like you have it just how its supposed to be. I've been at Atlanta Interstate(*) speeds many times with no issues at all.

Is your rear window down or in place? Above forty it should be taken out -- though I'll just unzip it most of the way and let it lay down into the tub.

(*) around here, 70-75mph will get you run over for going too slow
Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is your rear window down or in place? Above forty it should be taken out -- though I'll just unzip it most of the way and let it lay down into the tub.

(*) around here, 70-75mph will get you run over for going too slow
Yeah, I've run mine 85 mph before with the rear window in, before I saw the 40 mph thing in the manual, and didn't have any problems, so I wouldn't think it would be the rear window, but I guess it could be.

Edit: I just saw that 85CJ's is a 4 door. Mine is a 2 dr, so it might be a little different situation.

Jason
Old 08-03-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

For a while I was sure I had mine folded correctly. In the "W" shape but there was a lot of extra material that was over the rear seat occupants heads that could catch air. Finally watched the video closely and noticed that there were additional folds. Now the top sits nice and compact and is behind the rear seat.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like something's not right...maybe double check and make sure that everything is folded up properly.

I've got a 4 door and have had it up to highway speed a couple times with the back window in (didn't know...oops!) and plenty of times with it out and have never had any issues with the top catching the wind like you describe.

With the straps on the top should be tight enough that wind shouldn't really get in there
Old 08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

If folded properly with the "W" drip rails and the velcro you should have no problems. It took me a while to figure it out but you can go to the Jeep website and watch the online video. Helped me a lot.

Quick Reply: Sunrider question