Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sunrider clip

Old 10-09-2007, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunrider clip

on the door frames there is that small clip type thing that has a pin and that pin goes threw the hole on the soft top bar (sry for my lack of proper terminology). this is on a 2dr btw. well, the drivers side clips in fine but i cant clip in on the passenger side. upon farther investigation, it seems like the pin on the passenger side is a bit small and just wont go threw the hole. has anyone ever had such problem. i'm having a pain getting this soft top back on after my first weekend with it down.

btw since im already making this thread, is it normal for it to be a bit warmer in ur jeep compared to other cars. I thought maybe this was happening due to the larger surface area of the firewall on a jeep.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

Default Same thing,,,,here

Originally Posted by kuba
on the door frames there is that small clip type thing that has a pin and that pin goes threw the hole on the soft top bar (sry for my lack of proper terminology). this is on a 2dr btw. well, the drivers side clips in fine but i cant clip in on the passenger side. upon farther investigation, it seems like the pin on the passenger side is a bit small and just wont go threw the hole. has anyone ever had such problem. i'm having a pain getting this soft top back on after my first weekend with it down.

btw since im already making this thread, is it normal for it to be a bit warmer in ur jeep compared to other cars. I thought maybe this was happening due to the larger surface area of the firewall on a jeep.
I just did a search for this EXACT problem, and I am thankful that others are having the same issue. The dealership has replaced the clip on the passenger side twice. It takes my husband that is 6'2 240 lbs. to get this stupid thing to latch in. The driver side,,,,,piece of cake,,,,,,passenger, not so much. We have to manhandle it or in really bad times, also have to unlatch the entire back of the top, to pull it forward. Is it possible, that the plastic retainers that go into the rails, might be too long to give the top the ability to pull forward all the way? I am going back to the dealer AGAIN on thursday to have them look at it. Because this happens when I use it in sunrider mode, and can be very dangerous when it then forces BOTH sides out at highway speeds,,,,,,,which has happened,,,,,,,not pretty, thankfully we saw it happen and were able to pull over to fix it before the entire top took flight, (because at this point the only thing holding the top down is the side straps in the channels).

I'm not sure about the heat problem, as I am very comfy in mine. Do you possibly have heated seats that might be on? Or perhaps a fan running for no reason, causing hot air to blow into the jeep, I would try and look for the source of the heat, and figure out where it's coming from, as there could be a piece of insulation missing from somewhere.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

If you have the top unhooked from the rear tub rails, the pins are easy to get clipped back in. If you have the top hooked at the rear, you may never get them back in the holes. You shouldn't unclip the pins when you are using Sunrider mode, you only need to slide the hinge covers forward so the top can hinge backwards and then unhook the windshield latches and the side clips over the doors. If you have had the top all the way down, hook up the windshield latches but don't close them. Be sure the pins are in the clips on the sides, then hook the rear, then the sides over the doors and finally latch the windshield latches. This has proven to be the easiest method I've found for the top both in the JK and our previous TJ.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Greytsilly is right.

those clips are the very first thing you should be hooking in when putting the top up. And you definitely don't want to pop them open for just the sunrider......
Old 08-18-2010, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

My driver side clip pops out the minute I try putting the top back from its sunrider position. I'm not sure if this is a case of a faulty pin (being that it's so small), or, the clip is just faulty. This is far from a fun experience, considering that once this happens, I have to take out all the windows, and force the top back into place.

Is anyone else having this problem? Are there bigger pins? I should probably just take it back to the dealership... Thanks...
Old 08-18-2010, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JustAnotherJeepNut
My driver side clip pops out the minute I try putting the top back from its sunrider position. I'm not sure if this is a case of a faulty pin (being that it's so small), or, the clip is just faulty. This is far from a fun experience, considering that once this happens, I have to take out all the windows, and force the top back into place.

Is anyone else having this problem? Are there bigger pins? I should probably just take it back to the dealership... Thanks...
Mine is going back for a third clip replacement! They are also going to replace the entire arm that holds the pin. Apparently, these arms can bend ever so slightly, and not fit,,,,,this is what they are telling me, I'm going on Friday to have the work done, and can let you know what they accomplish, and if it stays in after they do the work.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jerseyjeepgurl
Mine is going back for a third clip replacement! They are also going to replace the entire arm that holds the pin. Apparently, these arms can bend ever so slightly, and not fit,,,,,this is what they are telling me, I'm going on Friday to have the work done, and can let you know what they accomplish, and if it stays in after they do the work.
That would be amazingly helpful, Jerseyjeepgurl! Thanks! Yeah, I'm about ready to take mine back to the dealership (Cherry Hill Triplex - I'm a Jersey Guy!). My wife and I bought 2 Wranglers the same day - hers has no problem with this clip, mine does. Like I said, the driver side is the issue - the passenger clip seems to stay on. But, to have to remove all the windows just to get the top back in place when all I want to do is put the Sunrider down - well, that is unacceptable.

I'm a little confused though about the arm thing. My arm that has the pin on it seems to be straight. But, the minute the clip pops out, there is NO way the top is getting latched without removing all the windows and slanting the roof forward so that the front latches reach the front.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it's a "technique" issue with how you are putting it up check out this video from the Jeep website

.jeep.com/en/owners/soft_top_guide/[/url]

If you dont do it correctly it is a @!#$% to put back up........so easy after you watch this video.

Last edited by mkjeep; 08-18-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: no clicky

Quick Reply: Sunrider clip