Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sudden throttle loss, replaced PCM , now horrible accelaration and ETC light...etc...

Old 04-06-2014, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden throttle loss, replaced PCM , now horrible accelaration and ETC light...etc...

2010 JKU Auto w/Prodigy Turbo

So, a few weeks ago...my throttle just stopped working. I was just driving along at a constant speed and started to decelerate and soon realized that the throttle pedal was not working at all. It threw no codes but throttle pedal had no effect on engine rpm. I tried a few things as I sat on the side of the road, disconnected battery for a few minutes and reconnected. No dice, same thing...would idle perfectly fine but no response at all from accelerator.

Had it towed to the dealership and they say that they were having trouble communicating with the PCM. They replaced the PCM...I got the current tune off of it, sent it to Prodigy and they sent me an appropriate tune to put on it.

It has not urn right since and I don't think it's a turbo issue. I have disconnected the inlet from the turbo and run it naturally aspirated and it still does exact same thing.

If you get more than a bout 40% throttle, it hesitates loses all power and then revs erratically then the ETC light comes on and then goes into limp mode.

I can also just start it up and let it idle, it will run perfectly for a couple of minutes and then suddenly idle goes to crap and the ETC light comes on. It is definitely a sensor or something electronic. I am worried there was a wiring harness issue that caused the PCM failure and is still causing issues.

I have replaced:
plugs
wires
coils
PCV
crank position sensor
throttle body

Thinking of doing:
cam position sensor
and throttle pedal assembly
injector harness replacement
Old 04-06-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that sucks. What about the throttle position sensor i.e. Replace the gas pedal

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-06-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

I had disconnected battery over night. Drove it this morning (taking it easy) and made it 6-7 miles (including a stop at Home Depot) before the ETC light came on and lost power. This time I was at a constant speed when it went off. It seemed to drive home okay but definitely does not run the same after the ETC light comes on.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jake7978
Damn that sucks. What about the throttle position sensor i.e. Replace the gas pedal
That is next on the list...I'll have to get one ordered.

Quick Reply: Sudden throttle loss, replaced PCM , now horrible accelaration and ETC light...etc...