Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stuck Rear Rotor

Old 08-03-2019, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Rear Rotor

Any tricks to removing a stuck rear rotor...passenger side
Old 08-03-2019, 05:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

What is actually stuck?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

its the stupid parking brake pads that lip the inside of the rotors that makes it impossible to take the rotors off. look on youtube as there is a mechanism to loosen the parking brake pads.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

I can't seem to find the video. Can you post the link?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

Every video I've watched, the rotor comes right off with only some requiring a few taps with a rubber mallet. There is no lip inside the rotor. I have brand new ones to put on so I can see this.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a machined lip from the manufacture, its a ridge of rust where the brake shoes don't touch the internal drum. A new rotor will not have this but will develop this in time. You need to release the shoe adjustment as much as possible and even then you could have a bitch of a time. Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

Ah....I understand now. Where/how do I release the shoe adjustment? That is what I can't find.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the backing plate there is a rubber rectangular plug, remove that and inside that opening you will see a round cylinder with gear like teeth and a small plate engaging in one of those teeth.Using a special tool made for this or a flat plate screwdriver; push the plate out of the way and turn the gear/teeth with a second flat blade screw driver. One direction will make it worse and the other direction will make it better.

That E-Brake works very similar to like the old style rear drum brake system back in the day. If you look into youtube on adjusting any kind of rear drum brakes, you will get the idea of how this works.

Even if you release the adjustment to its minimum, you may still have a hard time removing the disc. It depends on how big this ridge of rust is and it's not just rust the edge in that area is starting to delaminate and swell. If you have access to a machine shop have them machine a 15 degree bevel at the leading edge of the drum area but do not go to far into the shoe engagement area. Once you remove the old disc, you will know how much you will need to remove or how big the bevel needs to go into that surface. If you do this, you will never have a problem again.

Last edited by 2katz; 08-04-2019 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Try squeezing the caliper all the way open, see if you can remove one of the pads. I never tried it on a Jeep, but that worked on an old car I had

Quick Reply: Stuck Rear Rotor