Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Strange Tire Wear - BF Goodrich Mud Terrains T/A

Old 06-15-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was with all the lugs.. It was caused by lack of rotation and re-balancing over the life of the tire. When a tire starts hopping(out of balance) over time it wears the tires like that.. Even without rebalancing, if it had been rotated, it wouldve straightened back out. I rotate and balance mine every oil change because I have the use of a balancer available to me. It's cheaper to rotate than it is to trash a set of tires. Mud tires are very hard to get to wear evenly after they've started cupping. Best bet is to rotate often and rebalance once a year.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue, but I am terrible about rotating regularly. Some day I'll learn.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TROUPP
If it was with all the lugs.. It was caused by lack of rotation and re-balancing over the life of the tire. When a tire starts hopping(out of balance) over time it wears the tires like that.. Even without rebalancing, if it had been rotated, it wouldve straightened back out. I rotate and balance mine every oil change because I have the use of a balancer available to me. It's cheaper to rotate than it is to trash a set of tires. Mud tires are very hard to get to wear evenly after they've started cupping. Best bet is to rotate often and rebalance once a year.
Cool. Thanks for the info - I will rotate the tires in 3K miles.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tire wear

Yes been there and learned from that. Wore out the fronts the same way. Replaced them and have rotated them since. The rears now have 63000 miles on them and just worn out 6/32" thread left. I did get the front end aligned. Bought the life time service form local Firestone shop. I get it done after rough trail rides or rock crawls.

Quick Reply: Strange Tire Wear - BF Goodrich Mud Terrains T/A