Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Strange sound coming from JKU

Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sound coming from JKU

I have noticed a strange sound coming from under my 2009 JKU at highway speeds. I really don't hear it while tooling around town. It is kind of hard to describe, but I will do my best. It is kind of a dull rattle. It sounds like it is coming from in front of me, but I can't tell exactly where it is coming from. It almost seems like I can kind of feel it in the floorboard as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get under it with a rubber mallet and start hitting things to see if you can duplicate the sound. You also might want to jack up the front end and check it out.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had a similar experience with my '08 JKU with 37k miles. Started out as a low growl and would vary with speed. Could also feel in pedals. Began to get more noticable.

Took it to the dealer and it ended up needing new wheel bearings.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm maybe check the heat shields under your jeep, could be rattling if they're loose
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gr808JK
Had a similar experience with my '08 JKU with 37k miles. Started out as a low growl and would vary with speed. Could also feel in pedals. Began to get more noticable.

Took it to the dealer and it ended up needing new wheel bearings.
I don't think it is a wheel bearing. We had 2008 Chrysler Town & Country that when through 4 wheel bearing in the short amount of time we had it so I am somewhat familiar with that sound. I remeber it being a steady sound that increased and decreased with speed.

This is more of a rattle than a moan or grawl.

It is going to sound wierd, but it almost sounds like boiling water that I can hardly hear.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check the plastic shield thing (name escapes me) under the front bumper. My buddy's started to come lose and rather than repair it he simply tore it off. Noise disappeared but he's left a little unprotected now.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

My 2011 had a thumping sound coming from in front of the dash area. I popped the hood shook everything and found the dual heater lines running side by side into the firewall, middle of the jeep was the problem. The rubber trim around them was lose. I took a zip tie around them and tied them off to the side to hold them in place.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FLRubi
Check the plastic shield thing (name escapes me) under the front bumper.
^^ This would make sense and also explain why you feel it in the floorboard... Your air-dam or heat shield...
Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Look for dirt or mud built up on your wheels too. Or missing weights they may be out of balance
Old 12-29-2012, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did some checking tonight and realized that I don't believe I have the air dam below the bumper.

I did pop the hood and found a wire harness located near the battery that was very loose and rattling against the bracket it is attached to. I zip tied it tight so I will see if the helps.

Another thing I didn't think about until tonight is that I took the sheet metal right behind the hood off and plasti dipped it a few weeks ago. I demolished the four push screw that held it down in the middle. My plan was to pick up some new ones, but haven't had a chance to so that yet. It may be rattling at higher speeds. I will pick some up tomorrow and see if either of these two issues were causing it.

Quick Reply: Strange sound coming from JKU