Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

strange "pinging" noise

Old 02-22-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation strange "pinging" noise

Hello im new to the forum ive been on jeep fourm for about a year and never got an answer. when i put my jk into 4wd somtimes thers a rapid pinging noise then i turn the wheel. the 4wd works and so dose the steering but it sounds like the axle is spinning inside itself, even thought that wheel is spinning any help on this matter is apperated
Old 02-22-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. ...rapid pinging noise then i turn the wheel"... When you turn the wheel how far? At what point do you start to hear the noise? As soon as the steering wheel turns? Or after about a half revolution or full revolution?
2. ...it sounds like the axle is spinning inside itself... When you're rolling how fast? Really slow or kind of moving down a dirt road?
3. 4 Hi, 4 Lo, or both?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

1.. it pings after a 1/4 turn or more
2..both 4 hi and low at low speeds or when im stuck
thanks for any help you can give!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

I will go ut this afternoon and hit some dirt to see if I can recreate this. Check back this evening.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

My first though is an axle joint. But it most likely would have exploded by now. I think you are going to need a second person for this. Put in low, turnt he tires, creep forward. And have somebody listening to where the noise is coming from.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

i just drove around my driveway in 4wd and 4low and i didnt hear it but it usally happens when ive been in 4wd for a while. the next time i go wheeln (which should be soon) ill try to get a vid of the nosie and post it. probly with a link.. thanks

Quick Reply: strange "pinging" noise