Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Strange grind when starting in the cold

Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happened to me yesterday and today. It's about 10 F here. Right after it starts there is about a half second howl. It doesn't sound good, whatever it is.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Hey guys,

I had this problem when i first got my jeep. Its a problem with the starter and the gear not popping back in.

This would happen to me when the jeep would sit for long periods of time. Once it warmed up all was fine. It was just that first start of the day.

I took it to the dealer and they had it fixed after ordering a part. I think it may have been the solonoid but i forget.

Just tell em your starter is sticking when it sits or when its cold out

Last edited by ApeX; 12-12-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zee
Mine is a 6 speed... right now I'm more concerned about it not starting at all... it was towed to the dealer today.
So what was the outcome?
Old 12-18-2007, 12:35 AM
JK Freak

Default check the tsb on it

WOL posted a TSB on it, i think under electrical. i have the same problem. after it sits for 30 minutes and also for a day the starter still cranks after i release the key. then after a two second delay it starts. the jeep dealership said it the crankcase positioning sensor. they are replacing it thursday.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

I have 07 Rubi, and mine started doing that about two weeks ago, and yesterday the Starter totally died. I had them towe the Jeep to the dealership. You all may want to take to the dealership and have them take a look.

Quick Reply: Strange grind when starting in the cold