Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stone Cracked Windshield

Old 09-21-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bayrat
I must be the anomaly here, on the seventh Jeep and no windshield yet.
Yeah, I was braggin about no leaks in my softop 2 days ago, yesterday it sprung leaks from everywhere
Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kflash
That't what I meant when I said "hack job".
yeah, wow....I have to admit, after reading the posts and peoples experiences I can now say I've heard of a hack job with windshield replacement.....goes to show that jack asses can mess up just about anything...poor seals...scratches in trim...etc. etc. hope you don't experience this
Old 09-21-2008, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its, funny... just got a chip on my way to work....RIGHT NOW!!.. its already starting to annoy me
Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a couple in my windshield. I just went to Wal-Mart and bought some superglue. Cleaned the area real good with alcohol (rubbing). Filled the area in where the rock hit with the superglue..there was no crack in the windshield..just a place where the rock hit. I then let it dry for a few hours in the sunshine. Then got a razor blade and scrapped off the excess glue. I just repeated this a few times. My insurance says they will not pay for mine to get fixed..have to replace the whole windshield because both if the chips are in the area of driver windshield wiper.

You will still be able to see where the rock hit but this is should keep it from forming a crack across your windshield.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jeep is 9 months old and just replaced my first one a month ago. #2 happened today.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

My first hit was 3 months after I got mine, upper corner right on the edge. Then about a month ago I got my secound hit, right in the the middle where my rearview mirror is. I did the mirror flip mod and put a window sticker over it.... I'm holding out on replacement untill I get the big one!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had my Jeep for about a year and now have 7 different chips in it. 1 of them has split from the rearview mirror and all the way accross the drivers side. Inspections due in May, so I will be spending that money soon too.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got mine replaced for about $200 from Glass Doctor in central/north Jersey. DO NOT USE THEM!!!

They botched the repair and water leaked in the next day above the passenger sun visor, somehow traveled the rounded dash and filled half my glove box. Somehow the iPod survived.

Then in order to patch that, they made me drive to them (almost 2 hours round trip) because they needed a "controlled environment" to "air test" it. They didn't do any of that. I pointed to where it was leaking and the guy slopped some glue in there or something.

That's when I noticed the paint was chipped off my Jeep on the windshield surround on both bottom corners. Not large chips, but evidently he had used a prybar and as he said "most windshields have a rubber surround-- this one didn't".

Last but not least, right before I left, the drugged-out son of the shop's owner accused me of stealing his cell phone while all of this was going down, because he tried calling it and it rang, and then he called it again and it went straight to voicemail. This maniac was conviced I had turned it off when I saw him coming!!!! His mother, the owner of the franchise, called to appologize while I was on my way home. I was still too shocked to make a big deal out of it, but her obviously drugged son was practically ready to attack me for no logical reason. What an experience.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Here in Seattle I see folks offering to replace Wranglers windshields for around $170.

I got a similar situation on mine (rock hit followed by crack) the day after I drove off dealer. Went to a place where they stop the crack and bill the insurance company so I paid nothing. Now I have a small crack on the top right.

No plans to change it until I get more hits.

One interesting thing though. The dealer had offered me a windshield insurance where they apply a compound on the windshield for $300 and replace it in case it cracks. Warranty is good for 3 years and they would replace as many times as needed. I was thinking about it when got hit.

Anyone else heard of this warranty?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

The techs at SafeLite got black sealant all over my white LJ. It was about a month before a got it all off. They are good at crack repair but I would never have them replace the whole windshield again.

Quick Reply: Stone Cracked Windshield