Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stone Cracked Windshield

Old 09-20-2008, 01:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That't what I meant when I said "hack job". Scratching the paint around the windshield. I guess if that happens I will call my insurance company back. I too have the $100 deduct.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:41 AM
JK Freak

I had my Ruby for 9 days and cracked mine. It's a fact of life here in CO. I just got windshield insurace so I just get a new one every spring
Old 09-20-2008, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

Got mine replaced in the driveway today. Baltimore Autoglass Direct did an awesome job. No scratches at all, and I can find the smallest. Don't get me wrong, I expect to scratch paint, but I always appreciate quality work! The guy knew it was "new" to me and took the extra time to tape off all surrounding paint and really took his time!

And yes, I now have full glass coverage so the next one will be free!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:33 PM
J2H
JK Enthusiast

Im in SC!!! woooohoooo!
Old 09-21-2008, 02:52 AM
JK Newbie

I got a rock off a buddy's tire, second week i had my rubi. watched it fly like it was slow motion, except we were doing 80 km/h. thankfully it's low and it hasn't cracked yet.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned 4 Jeep made vehicles over the last 20 years. I have replaced at least 10 winshields between them and my wifes Liberty need a new one now

I never paid more than $100 dollars with insurance covering it and sometimes it has been free if the glass company was running a special.

Anyone who doesn't have glass coverage should add it to thier policy
Old 09-21-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adding a glass rider to your comprehensive coverage is inexpensive. In my case, it's about $30 annually. I urge everyone to spend a few bucks up front to avoid a $300+ expense later. Make sure the rider states that there is no deductible.

I went through at least 4 windshields in '92 YJ, all due to stone damage. Upright windscreens are the most vulnerable. My wife's car, with its windshield angle nearly following the hood line, suffered a tiny stone chip that cracked across the bottom over night.

As it is, I'm not impressed with the quality of the factory windshield glass in my JK. I can see tiny air bubbles in the clear laminate sheet (between the two glass laminations). This tells me that the manufacturing process was faulty. These bubbles will eventually discolor. These are easy to detect on a cool morning when the glass is wet from dew. As the moisture evaporates, the temperature difference of the air bubbles causes moisture to evaporate there faster, giving the visual impression of the glass have a case of measles. Running the wipers eliminates the effect, but as new moisture condenses on the glass, it returns.

I doubt that the dealer would do anything about it. But, as often as Jeep windshields get whacked by stones, I don't think I'll have it deal with it for long. Aftermarket glass is usually superior to the factory cheapo glass anyway.

My regards,

Widewing

Last edited by Widewing; 09-21-2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 09-21-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced mine at about 1 month. Insurance covered, but I had a bad experience with Safelite.

The replacement glass looks like it was pulled from a junkyard, the edges are chewed up and scratched-and it whistles now, too.

I took it back but they said they didn't find any leaks, so they wouldn't work on it without more compensation.

I know that I could've fought it out with the insurance company to get Safelite to do their job, but at that point I didn't want any of them near it again.

My plan is to get the indestructible windshield that Qtec sells. I know that they aren't legal because emergency crews can't get through them-

But I figure they should be able to get through the soft top just fine (if it's actually on)- or reach through the space where the doors are supposed to go!

If none of that works, then I probably don't need saving anymore.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a stone chip directly in the field of view....I am somewhat lucky that it hasn't grown at all.

The thing I hate is some crappy gas station sqeegy carved 3 big scratches into my glass, I hate staring at them.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must be the anomaly here, on the seventh Jeep and no windshield yet.

Quick Reply: Stone Cracked Windshield