Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stone Cracked Windshield

Old 09-19-2008, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone Cracked Windshield

I have only had the Jeep for 3 months and now am the proud owner of a cracked windshield. Diving home from work on this great Friday evening with the top down and "BANG", there's a huge bullseye right in front of me. I didn't even see a rock bouncing toward me.

Anyway, has anyone had to have a windshield on their Jeep replaced yet. Can it be done nicely as the newness for me hasn't worn off yet. I just don't want a hack repair.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$250. Good as new.
Oh wait, you're on the other side of the country.
Anyways. I've replaced windshields for several members here and you should plan on about $300-350. Don't worry about the factory glass. Aftermarket is as good as new.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Actually, just had the same thing happen to me 1 month ago. Here (VA) it would have been $340 for a new windshield (aftermarket/not from the factory)...BUT...as I found out from Safelite Auto Glass, if you can place a dollar bill over the entire cracked area, then it can be repaired. The machine they use to repair the glass covers an area the size of a dollar, so, that is the criteria for repair rather than replacement. The good thing about repair is, almost all insurance companies will pay for the repair, so it costs you nothing. Insurance deductibles are not a factor for windshield repair.

I can still see where the rock hit my windshield, but it is not that noticable. Looks kind of like a small dirt spot. Better than forking over the $$$ for a whole new windshield.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

I'd probably wait too, but it must have been a big rock. Can't believe I didn't see it. Sirius has AC/DC on channel 29 now and I was having a 40 year old retro moment driving home. Bigger than a dollar and now that it has cooled down, one of the spider legs has run about a foot toward the edge of the glass. They are coming to fix it this Wed (they could do sooner, but my schedule stinks this week). Think I sould tape it?
Old 09-19-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the Jeep's windshield stands up so strait they are notorious for getting hit and cracking, it probably won't be the last time it happens. I made it through 9 months with no problems then got hit by rocks twice in one week, that was back in March and I haven't done anything about them yet.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Jeep is 13 wks old, replaced windshield at 6 weeks. $283 for a new one, Mopar glass, caught a stone in the very passenger bottom corner, edges can't be repaired once they crack, if at all. Most insurance companies or quite a few as I understand it, will waive your comprehensive deductible if you have them repair it for n/c. I'd look into repair. But quickly. I made the mistake of waiting to see if this tiny 1 mm chip would spread, decided to try to get it repaired 3 days later, and it went to an 8" crack overnight, that night. I didn't bother getting the insurance company involved at the price I paid for the replacement, the comprehensive deductible was $250.

Last edited by ResQGrnRubi; 09-19-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club....
Same happened to me, as I'm sure MANY others here....had the Jeep barely 2 weeks when the smallest rock smacked the windshield...come winter time up in the Great White North, that rock chip cracked from one end of the windshield to the other......and it's been that way since....goin on a year and a bit now

I'm with Toad and .:eMETAL:. on this one....I'll replace it when I HAVE to, not before
I've personally never heard of or seen a 'hack job' on a windshield before though ??
Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it was week 2, got 2 hits, got those fixed, couple days later another one , got it fixed, couple more weeks and blamo, one on the edge! It traveled overnight into a foot long crack. Got a new windshield $100 deductable.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just replaced mine this last weekend. $365 before taxes!!! I tried to wait it out, but up here in the hills it's been getting cooler at night and it went spread all over.

BTW, they scratched the crap out of the paint around the edges of the windshield!!! I think I got screwed!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Getting mine replaced Monday - $0 to me. Can't beat full glass coverage!

Quick Reply: Stone Cracked Windshield