Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock Transfer case CABLE broke - what a chore to replace - Grommet is impossible...

Old 11-21-2018, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Transfer case CABLE broke - what a chore to replace - Grommet is impossible...

Well I've been through lots of those little plastic bushings breaking but this was a first... my son took our my old 2008 Rubicon Unlimited the other day and being a new driver, wanted 4WD for the snow. The JK had been sitting in the garage not used much for a while (other toys to drive)... this part is key to the story.

I instructed him how to put it in 4 wheel high and indicated you need to pull pretty firmly... little did I know he pulled with all his might and I think used a friend or TWO... they managed to not only break both of the bushings but totally destroyed the cable and the plastic sleeve under the console as well as the plastic mounts that go into the bracket and then BENT the cable (permanent kink). I'm bloody well impressed at the damage a teenager can do that no rocky trail or silly offroad excursion has done.

So I picked up another cable (the 52060462AG part number since the 52060462AE has been superseded). Cable wasn't too hard to swap actually but there no bloody space in there to get your hands... what a pain.

After getting all that done it still would not budge... turns out the shift lever on the case had rusted solid from last winter and it took a few good hammer taps to free it up (hence the cable damage they created). Will ensure it gets lubed more often and exercised.

---

The biggest issue is that damn grommet that goes in the floor, it's impossible to get at from the top due to the dash being in the way and only leaving about 1 inch to spare and on the bottom the driveshaft is in the way.

Anyone found a trick to getting that grommet to seat? Or is there a way to remove the lower part of the central dash to get your hands in there?

Cheers
Tim
Old 11-22-2018, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you look up radio removal they demonstrate how to remove the climate control panel where it just flops. If you want it all the way out you’ll need to disconnect the cables to your cold/heat adjuster, and vent selector. I tried to remove my vent selector cable the other day but decided against it. It looks like you squeeze the little lock tab on the back with tiny pliers/forceps and slide the cable off. Easier said than done.

Quick Reply: Stock Transfer case CABLE broke - what a chore to replace - Grommet is impossible...