Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

stock tires in snow.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
I don't think you have this problem anymore with your 37" tires
Hahaha! This is very true
Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Stock BFG M/T SIPPED by a tire shop. Sipping usually runs about $20-30/tire...but makes a them much better on ice!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the siping. They're a good tire for deep snow, but their hard compound and lack of sipes mean that they leave something to be desired on ice. Siping will help that a lot. I paid $30 per tire.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Might be a bit off-topic,but...
My Sahara's stocks..are they reliable in winter? This vehicle was intended primarily as a daily driver/family mover. Mostly in-town and some freeway driving.
What is sipping? Will this compromise tires' integrity in a long run?
Also,would anyone recommend a good all-season tire to run on stock wheels?
Thank you in advance
Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never driven on them, but the stock Sahara tires are just an all-season street tire from what I've seen.

I'd be tempted to get a cheap set of steel rims and a set of 4 real winter tires. It'll make a big difference in snow, slush, and ice. Compared to all-season street tires, good snow tires are like driving on suction cups.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was unsure on how the stock Rubicon tires would on the snow and ice during the winter. Last year on Vancouver Island we had a ton of snow covering the city streets and the TCH(Trans Canada Hwy) was down to 1 lane each way for a while due to the snow and ice. The tires did not slip and slide as I thought that they would. I also made a trip throught the Rockies to Alberta in January without any concern. I'm going to do it again this year as well. True winter tires would make the Jeep quite the machine on the winter roads but for the cost diference I just put it in 4wd.

Last edited by Boat; 11-17-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by memedya
Might be a bit off-topic,but...
My Sahara's stocks..are they reliable in winter? This vehicle was intended primarily as a daily driver/family mover. Mostly in-town and some freeway driving.
What is sipping? Will this compromise tires' integrity in a long run?
Also,would anyone recommend a good all-season tire to run on stock wheels?
Thank you in advance

The Sahara Duelers are not bad on the snow and ice....better than my Cooper STT's M/T that's for sure!!!! They are just an all-season A/T...but have lots of siping. They are not as good as a True winter tire...but better than a Mud Terrain tire. You should be fine with a newer treaded Dueler tire. If you get them Siped you will be that much better off.

SIPING:

Siping can be performed on new tires or on used tires with at least 50% of the original tread left. Siping is where a tire shop machine cuts thousands of slits across the face of the tire tread. These slits create thousands of sharp edges to provide extra traction in poor weather conditions. The slits are very thin. Resulting in no loss of rubber on the tread face. The results are similar in performance to studding your tires. Siping improves the traction of all-season or multipurpose tires.

With siping, you will also enjoy improved braking and acceleration, extended tire life and a softer ride.

I would just get your Dueler's Siped rather than get another set of all-season tires. With the ESP & 4WD you will be fine with the Dueler tires for the winter...save the money till they wear out.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 11-18-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you everyone. All are most welcomed and appreciated replies.
Now with my mind at ease,I can concentrate my finances on that PowerPack.
I love my Jeep,but I need a bit more oomph out of it

Quick Reply: stock tires in snow.