Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock Tires Failure

Old 10-10-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by walker
I am unsure about a warranty on factory wheels. I feel your pain, I tore up two sidewalls on stock BFG KM's with only 5K on them. One still holds air. I would feel alright with a little sidewall patch on a slow rock-crawling rig, but I sure wouldn't feel good going 55-75 down the highway! In fact, I think it would be downright stupid. Think about how bad you would feel if you had a blow out, totaled your jeep, killed your passengers, or killed a family in another car just to save $400. Get new tires and sleep better is my vote.
I Agree the KM2's Sidewalls suck! I won't buy BFG ever again! I blew a bead on a sandy creek and I cut the sidewall with the rim and I was stopped when it happened. That why I purchased diffrent tires and wheels right away instead of waiting till the other 4 were worn down. I could not trust them..So they had to go...
Old 10-10-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a nail sticking out of a log and ripped a 1.5inch gash in the side of my dad tire on his 2000 Lincoln Continental. He’s really cheap so he took it down to this dumpy Mexican tire shop and they patched it up for him for $15 but said no guarantees. To my amazement he got over another 30,000 miles on the tire and ran it bald before replacing it.

I called up Bridgestone, the only warranty covers factory defects.

Where can I look into a tube?

Do any long term tire sealants exist or are they only for temporary use? Will it destroy my rim?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah, patching the sidewall shouldn't destroy your rim. That is... Until you hit about 55mph and the tire fails and you flip the jeep. And still the rim should be o.k. unless you actually make it back over and land back on the rims. But the chances of you making it back over to land on the rims is pretty slim.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I meant the tire sealer, doesn't that stuff become hard to remove from the rim or cause rust?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ah, like the real heavy duty version of fix-a-flat? I always find it messy to use, but not sure if it causes rust issues. Maybe on steel rims. Do you have the aluminum stock ones? If so I wouldn't worry about rust. It might have some crap to scrape off when you remove them from the rim, but I don't know. I'd let the guy that puts the new ones on worry about getting the old ones and any goop left on them off.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Haha, ya they're stock aluminum.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default two words

Originally Posted by Bronco_Bustin
Haha, ya they're stock aluminum.
steel wheels. If your gonna go 4x4 u need steel wheels. aluminum will bend and break and u will end up with flat tires in the morning.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I paid $25 to get them patched and so far they're holding. I'll let you know if I die

Quick Reply: Stock Tires Failure