Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock Tires Failure

Old 10-09-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock Tires Failure

Last weekend I went on a Jeep run up in Lucerne Valley and went 4 byin, came back to camp that night and the next morning woke up with 2 flats. Both in the front, one down to the rim, the other down to about 5psi. Both leaked from the sidewall.

They are the Bridgestone Duelers from the factory and have over %50 tread left on them. Do they come with any kind of warranty?

If not what should I do? Can the sidewalls be patched? I know there is no guarantee will sidewall repairs but should I give it a try anyways?

With 3 good tires left I don't want to buy a full new set yet, especially since I'd like to lift it down the road but I also don't want to buy the same tires that I know will fail after some minor off roading.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am unsure about a warranty on factory wheels. I feel your pain, I tore up two sidewalls on stock BFG KM's with only 5K on them. One still holds air. I would feel alright with a little sidewall patch on a slow rock-crawling rig, but I sure wouldn't feel good going 55-75 down the highway! In fact, I think it would be downright stupid. Think about how bad you would feel if you had a blow out, totaled your jeep, killed your passengers, or killed a family in another car just to save $400. Get new tires and sleep better is my vote.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember if using a tube is a no-no nowadays, but that would be an option if safe.

There is a tire warranty, it is supplied by the manf. Check your docs.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one will patch a damaged side wall for (except maybe an idiot). It is illegal in many states, and opens the door for liability suit should the tire fail and result in an accident and/or injuries.

Factory installed tires carry a pro-rated tread wear warranty. I doubt very much if there is road hazard coverage. I haven't seen anyone offer road hazard coverage for tires damaged while driving off-road.

You can buy replacement tires from the Tire Rack here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A% 2FT+RH-S&partnum=57SR8ATRHS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompar e1=yes&place=8&speed_rating=R&speed_rating=S&speed _rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rati ng=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y& speed_rating=(Y)&load_rating=S&load_rating=RF&load _rating=XL&load_rating=C&load_rating=D&load_rating =E&load_rating=F&load_rating=G&minSpeedRating=R

My regards,

Widewing

Last edited by toad; 10-09-2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Please no direct links to non-sponsored vendors. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CIJeep
I don't remember if using a tube is a no-no nowadays, but that would be an option if safe.

There is a tire warranty, it is supplied by the manf. Check your docs.
I'm pretty sure it takes a different type of tire and wheel to accept tubes. It has to do with the shape of the bead. Also the TPMS would have to be removed. Don't do it!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaginawMike
I'm pretty sure it takes a different type of tire and wheel to accept tubes. It has to do with the shape of the bead. Also the TPMS would have to be removed. Don't do it!
SaginawMike hit it right on the head..... Don't do it X2!!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

The tires have some warranty. Probably not worth the paper they are printed on. Where on the sidewall are you leaking? Sorry seems like an obvious question to ask that no on has. I ask because if your leaking at the bead that is fixable. If your seeping through the carcass of the sidewall... your SOL.

And someone said no road hazzard for offroad use. There is a tire company out here that is local and most of thier tires come with a road hazzard warranty. They don't care how the tire failed. They replace them. This is why I ran Dunlop tires on my trucks for many years. Rip them up offraod and get them replaced under the Road Hazzard warranty. Even with my new tires that do not have road hazzard I still have free flat repair for life.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default bent rims

r u sure u did not bend them aluminum rims????
Old 10-10-2008, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're not ready to buy tires yet, put a pair of radial tubes in them. Perfectly safe and cheaper than tires. Now as for your TPMS, that's another story altogether.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

I bought the additional bumper-to-bumper, and recall something about replacing rims/tires in that, but I don't remember exact details (I'm at school, warranty info is at home).

Originally Posted by Bronco_Bustin
Last weekend I went on a Jeep run up in Lucerne Valley and went 4 byin, came back to camp that night and the next morning woke up with 2 flats. Both in the front, one down to the rim, the other down to about 5psi. Both leaked from the sidewall.

They are the Bridgestone Duelers from the factory and have over %50 tread left on them. Do they come with any kind of warranty?

If not what should I do? Can the sidewalls be patched? I know there is no guarantee will sidewall repairs but should I give it a try anyways?

With 3 good tires left I don't want to buy a full new set yet, especially since I'd like to lift it down the road but I also don't want to buy the same tires that I know will fail after some minor off roading.

Quick Reply: Stock Tires Failure