Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock Steering...Is it just me?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by demp
This almost sounds comical. Both hands to change radio? 2 wheels? bungee cords?

I've never felt the steering was too easy compared to other SUVs I drive on occasion. Adding a tighter stabilizer/dampener or bungee cords would add resistance but not increase the feel of the road.

Stabilizers aren't useless, they are there to prevent the steering ripping your hand off when the wheels attempt a sudden change of direction. You can run without one perfectly fine, but you might not enjoy wheeling without it.
Yes, it was meant to be a comical and an exaggerated presentation of a serious question. I apologize to those of you that took the words seriously; and after rereading my post I realize there wasn't a hint of it being written for humor. For the record there is no way I would ever run bungee cords off my steering wheel. And from now on I will stay serious (mostly) when posting on JK-Forum. Please forgive, I'm new.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
...Your post sounds a bit "troll-ish", but I'm trying to take you seriously and give you the benefit of the doubt. Help us all out here and go get your vehicle inspected because the stock power steering on a jeep shouldn't be dialed up that high, or feel that flighty on the freeway.

If you just had a lift installed, it's possible you need some further suspension goodies and adjustment and you could be feeling really bad alignment specs either due to caster or other issues affected by a lift.
Not sure what troll-ish is. Sorry if I'm breaking rules.
I am getting the alignment taken care of after the leveling kit install.
Most of what I said was meant to be taken humorously. But the question was serious, it does feel too flighty (great word for it).
Thank you.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by easy843
I got the fox SS when I saw it in sale before xmas and it might have been in my head but I thought it made a good bit of change and it made it to where I actually felt like I was turning the wheels when I was steering. It's probably not gonna get you as much resistance as you want but it will help get you there. And it looks awesome! Ha
I was looking at the kits with the double SS. Do you believe that would add more resistance than just a single SS? Anyone on here running a double SS kit?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

If I read this right you bought used? The stockers have a rep for bad durability on here, why not take the couple bolts off and see if it's still offering any resistance. Mine was quite firm at 5K but maybe yours has moved on by now.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
If I read this right you bought used? The stockers have a rep for bad durability on here, why not take the couple bolts off and see if it's still offering any resistance. Mine was quite firm at 5K but maybe yours has moved on by now.
Yes I bought it used with 32,500 miles on it. By stockers I assume you mean the steering stabilizer? If so that's a good idea. I'll try it this weekend and see if I can notice any change.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Coming from a g35 coupe it took a little getting used to myself. Steering stabilizer isn't going to help you. Maybe something is loose or worn. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth and get under there and look and feel for anything abnormal. I recently discovered bad ball joints, and drag link on mine.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stockers generally refers to the stock wheels and suspension. As for the steering stabilizer or dampener a single gas charged replacement will affect the feel on road. A single unit though will tend to push the steering one way. This is why many choose to go duel steering stabilizers to cancel out the push.

Either way steering stabilizers tend to be an item that is more about personal preference than safety or performance. The stock unit will easily handle 35" tires and 3" of lift. I went for the bilstein replacement single steering stabilizer and love the tighter feel when on the highway.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SparrowKing
Yes, it was meant to be a comical and an exaggerated presentation of a serious question. I apologize to those of you that took the words seriously; and after rereading my post I realize there wasn't a hint of it being written for humor. For the record there is no way I would ever run bungee cords off my steering wheel. And from now on I will stay serious (mostly) when posting on JK-Forum. Please forgive, I'm new.
You just have to indicate the humor, we tend to be quite literal here :p
Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also say 'it's a jeep thing'... the steering action is just pretty light.

It was mentioned already, but toe-in will have an effect on how the JK's steering feels... around town, but mainly up at highway speeds. Too little toe-in will cause the front end to be grabby and flighty. Steering will be pretty sharp and precise though - Maybe too much. Too much toe-in will cause the steering wheels sensitivity to be deadened - requiring more degrees of turn for straight line corrections.

My wifes car is a AWD BMW e46 -- that thing runs a ton of caster and steering is very heavy. Sometimes it literally takes two hands to make a 90* parking lot turn. The jeep is kinda fun in that you can flick it around with a finger... but I do think that takes away from stability.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have played with tire pressures to help the steering because I like many others aren't a fan of the flighty steering. If there was anything I could do to help it even in the smallest of ways I would do it within reason and cost. I doubt my toe in/out would be off on mine (I hope) I have only done a TF leveling kit and have 30k miles. I have checked before and it looked to be fine.

I have searched about steering stabilizers many times trying to convince myself to buy an aftermarket one or not buy one. I'd rather not go with "its a jeep thing" because if that was the case then I wouldn't have bought my hothead headliner and I would have rather just lived with the fact that the cabin got hot/cold and noisy without the headliner.

I dont know if this post helped too much other than to at least confirm there are others who feel the steering is weird and would like it to be better IF possible.

Quick Reply: Stock Steering...Is it just me?