Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock Steering...Is it just me?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Steering...Is it just me?

Is it just me or is the stock steering way too light, easy and breezy? I have an 09 Unlimited with stock suspension, tires and wheels; the steering is soooo sensitive.

There is no resistance at all and I find myself in the other lane (horns blaring) when I take a hand off the wheel to change the radio station...or pick my nose [shrug]. Naturally the correction of this abrupt drift puts the Jeep up on two wheels; correcting that has me searching for my lane and looking like a drunk.

I'd like to feel the road when I drive and not be so disconnected from it, like I'm driving a 4x4 Jeep, not a luxury Lincoln.

Currently I'm using bungee cords from the wheel to dash to add some resistance, but 90 degree turns get tricky. Is there any other, more safe solution out there? From what I've read on this forum, a steering stabilizer doesn't do a damn thing, people run without it (I'm assuming a stabilizer and dampener are the same thing).
Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same thing for me, after coming from a g35 coupe and 370z, it took a little bit to get used to the steering. All ok now!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's one of those "Jeep Things" and is part of having a solid axle, make sure your toe in is correct, if not this can add greatly to the wondering effect. Also did you lift it? did you correct pinion angle?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SparrowKing
Is it just me or is the stock steering way too light, easy and breezy? I have an 09 Unlimited with stock suspension, tires and wheels; the steering is soooo sensitive.

There is no resistance at all and I find myself in the other lane (horns blaring) when I take a hand off the wheel to change the radio station...or pick my nose [shrug]. Naturally the correction of this abrupt drift puts the Jeep up on two wheels; correcting that has me searching for my lane and looking like a drunk.

I'd like to feel the road when I drive and not be so disconnected from it, like I'm driving a 4x4 Jeep, not a luxury Lincoln.

Currently I'm using bungee cords from the wheel to dash to add some resistance, but 90 degree turns get tricky. Is there any other, more safe solution out there? From what I've read on this forum, a steering stabilizer doesn't do a damn thing, people run without it (I'm assuming a stabilizer and dampener are the same thing).
This almost sounds comical. Both hands to change radio? 2 wheels? bungee cords?

I've never felt the steering was too easy compared to other SUVs I drive on occasion. Adding a tighter stabilizer/dampener or bungee cords would add resistance but not increase the feel of the road.

Stabilizers aren't useless, they are there to prevent the steering ripping your hand off when the wheels attempt a sudden change of direction. You can run without one perfectly fine, but you might not enjoy wheeling without it.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get rid of the power steering.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the fox SS when I saw it in sale before xmas and it might have been in my head but I thought it made a good bit of change and it made it to where I actually felt like I was turning the wheels when I was steering. It's probably not gonna get you as much resistance as you want but it will help get you there. And it looks awesome! Ha
Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

*Revising my post to not sound like jerk*

It's possible something has gone awry with your steering rack or you've got some really worn suspension components. Jeep power steering in the JK is a hydraulic setup and to my knowledge it's not variable-assist. I've had variable-assist systems in other vehicles and the steering gets really easy (think like being able to turn the wheel lock to lock with your pinky finger). I also had a stock hydraulic power steering system in a blazer that was was that easy to turn...it was just the nature of the stock vehicle and how they used to build 'em back then. The Jeep shouldn't feel like that.

If you are really taking your hands off the wheel to change the radio station and bungee-ing your wheel to the dashboard, please, park the vehicle and have it towed to the dealership for an inspection. What you're doing sounds really unsafe beyond what might be going on with your steering rack, and more than you, I worry about other people you might injure because of your actions. Your post sounds a bit "troll-ish", but I'm trying to take you seriously and give you the benefit of the doubt. Help us all out here and go get your vehicle inspected because the stock power steering on a jeep shouldn't be dialed up that high, or feel that flighty on the freeway.

If you just had a lift installed, it's possible you need some further suspension goodies and adjustment and you could be feeling really bad alignment specs either due to caster or other issues affected by a lift.

Last edited by jk_sea; 01-08-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Many on this forum have said the steering stabilizer isn't necessary and that might be true while rock crawling or slow driving around but my experience is the stabilizer is absolutely required on the fast up and down and curving highways in SoCal where everybody's moving pretty fast. I have the Bilstein stabilizer and shocks but I think the Fox is better.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by omjee
Same thing for me, after coming from a g35 coupe and 370z, it took a little bit to get used to the steering. All ok now!
Yeah, I traded in my Audi A4 with KW suspension for this Jeep. Maybe this is just a transition period - precision driving a performance car to the Freedom of Jeep. I really do feel unbound in my Jeep, I love it!! and I don't remember feeling that way about my Audi.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by filthy-Beast
It's one of those "Jeep Things" and is part of having a solid axle, make sure your toe in is correct, if not this can add greatly to the wondering effect. Also did you lift it? did you correct pinion angle?
I'm not the original owner and I have no way to contact the person. They may have lifted it, made adjustments, then removed the suspension when they sold it without re-aligning. I plan on putting in the TeraFlex leveling kit (starting small) and I will definitely get it aligned, toed, cambered and what not.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Stock Steering...Is it just me?