Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock Spring issues?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Spring issues?

Just curious if anyone has any idea what could be causing this? A little back story, a few months while installing a teraflex leveling kit I opted to install a set of 18 springs from another JK to replace my 17's....fast forward to yesterday I was test fitting some wheels and tires and noticed what you see in the picture. the spring appears to be seated in the perch at both the top and the bottom.....but its bowing out in the middle...so much so that I believe on occasion it hits the sway bar! the passenger side does this as well but not as bad and its bending towards the rear. Any ideas? thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-27.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	556089
Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Common problem,just get spring wedges or adjustable spring seats like those from JKS
Old 05-28-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by familytime
Common problem,just get spring wedges or adjustable spring seats like those from JKS

Weird, I can only find these wedges for the rear.....does that mean I shouldnt have this problem in the front? lol im confused
Old 05-28-2014, 09:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

When you lift a Jeep the axles rotate. That shifts the spring perches from being straight up. For a couple inches of lift, RK wedges or similar products will fix it. I've not heard of anyone having problems with springs bowing on the front axle. Perhaps because they are longer, smaller around, and in a more open space.

Quick Reply: Stock Spring issues?