Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock spare tire carrier

Old 04-10-2009, 10:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock spare tire carrier

If going to bigger tires and a full size spare has anybody had any problems with mounting a full size spare on back. Will it susport the weight ok or is something needed for the weight. I'm talking about a size 32 or 33, I don't know. I do know some jk's come with a 32 size stock tire but mine came with the 225/75/16's. Will I need to get some kind of bracket or something, I don't want to screw up the tail gate.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

I don't think you will need anything. I just bought a 35x12.50x17 BFG KM2 for a spare and bought the smittybilt xrc extender bracket and i didn't end up ending it. I mounted it up and worked great. But when i started driving the viabration sounded like a machine gun going off. It was the tire viabrating on the tailgate because my rubber bump stops didn't touch the tire anymore. Daystar makes some longer ones for $15. But i just spent $65 on the extender. Anyhow i thought it might mount up without the extender and it did. It bolted right up and barely touched the rear bumper which actually helps support it. So i am running a 35x12.5x17 tire and rim with a 5.25"BS on my stock spare tire carrier with no problems.

Try it without anything. if you need one buy one later.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stock Rubi Rim and tire 32" weighs about 75lbs I am running a 33" KM2 on the stock wheel and I have had no issues it only added a few pounds to the weight of the carrier but the most critical thing is having the rear door bump stops hitting the tire. It will be based on your wheel backspace, factory rim, no issues other rims may need the extended bump stops. Do not run it without the bump stops hitting the tire it will eventually destroy the tail gate.

Quick Reply: Stock spare tire carrier