Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock softtop up without surrounds?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock softtop up without surrounds?

Since the weather has gotten nice out I've been cruisin without the top/doors. I'm really wanting to bust the surrounds off, but will I be able to put the softtop back up for rain without damaging it?

I think evenutally I'll get a Bestop duster and safari top, but looking for a now answer.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do it because it would put a lot of stress on those plastic slide things that go over the bend for the SunRider.

Without the side bows being able to "click" into the door surrounds, a lot of the stress from the top ballooning would be put on those plastic slide things. They don't seem very strong...sometimes they feel like they are going to break when I'm flipping the top back!

edit: What I said is true for the 2dr...not sure how the soft top bows "click in" to the door surrounds on the 4dr. I would imagine it should be the same...
Old 05-16-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why??? how to having them on there bother you? or hows having them off better? i dont get it at at all
Old 05-17-2009, 02:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedo Nulli
Since the weather has gotten nice out I've been cruisin without the top/doors. I'm really wanting to bust the surrounds off, but will I be able to put the softtop back up for rain without damaging it?

I think evenutally I'll get a Bestop duster and safari top, but looking for a now answer.
You'll have no problems, I've run like this for 2 years. The 4-door soft top is fine secured only using the windshield brackets and the rear sails clipped in, provided the rear window is removed.

A tip on putting the top up when the plastic side surrounds have been removed is to open all the doors first, otherwise the bows scratch the paint on the top of the doors as you pull the softtop forward.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone!

westchester, I didn't see any reason why I couldn't, it just wouldn't be as secure or "leak proof". I'm just looking for a way to keep MOST of the rain out if I get caught in a storm.

itasor, the 4Ds don't have those plastic sliders...the 4D has these round clips release things instead of the long plastic piece.

Quick Reply: Stock softtop up without surrounds?