Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock JK Height -- more than enough, or not quite for Overlanding

Old 01-06-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, a 2.5 HD lift is sufficient. More than that I'd say you are sacrificing reliability and if you are out in the sticks, the last thing you need is a broken propshaft or something like that.

If you've driven a Land Rover Defender, then you'll know the stock suspension is very stiff.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Great info andthoughts folks! We have OME 2.5's with Bilsteins and find it great for overlanding. An additional resource is expedition portal, incase you havn't checked there.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you run abot 2.5 to3.5" of lift an a 33 to 35" tire it will get you most places you want to go. It will also help with the weight of bumpers and cargo.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

As others have said here, the stock suspension is not adequate but the tires are in Rubicon trim.

I haven't used my JKUR super extensively yet. But I have gone through death valley and the mojave road a couple times.

The stock suspension sags and sways too much. Adding some airlift airbags in the rear helps wit this a lot.

But the JKU has too many low hanging bits and pieces. I've managed to dent up my gas tank skid and would have taken out my exhaust crossover if it weren't for my Evo Protek skids. Neither of those were from rock crawling. The exhaust happened on the last few miles of the mojave road. The Land Cruiser I was following dislodged a softball sized rock that bounced up and smacked my skid plate. Adding 2-3" of lift heigh helps a lot with the breakover angle and limiting how often you get hung up even on easy trails.

I've found the BFG MT Km 32" (31" real world) to be pretty adequate though. The only issue I've run into is the lack of sidewall bulge allows the rims to get marred up with rocks.

With that said, I've added a 2.5" spacer lift in preparation for 35s and a 3.5" heavy duty lift. My JKUR is fairly new. So I'd rather lift it a little too high than destroy the bottom of it on that unexpected rock garden between you and gas.

Stock suspension with airbags pictured.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default try it stock and add as you feel is needed

everyone has different driving skills or desires

i think a stock jeep can go where youl need it to go , a gain of a inch or two isnt going to change that by having a small lift kit & 35s vs 33 i run 33s no lift
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2403 (2).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	617862  
Old 07-14-2015, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
everyone has different driving skills or desires i think a stock jeep can go where youl need it to go , a gain of a inch or two isnt going to change that by having a small lift kit & 35s vs 33 i run 33s no lift
To some extent I agree with what you are saying... But the longer wheelbase of the JKU does benefit from more ground clearance.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

…. I am a huge "Overland" rig fan. That is to say, a rig that is not so much concerned with rock-climbing as it is going across great expanses of undeveloped land. (Think a pan-African expedition, snorkel and all). Generally on such trips, there WILL be set paths to follow, but they will be unpaved, bumpy if not down-right treacherous, and often flooded or swamped.
The shocks influence the suspension softness more than the coils do. Regardless of the lift/wheels you end up with, I’d suggest driver-adjustable shocks such as the FOX.
Long range off-asphalt driving with shocks that are properly adjusted for the conditions, would be easier for both you and the Jeep.

…. does the JK stock suspension offer a decent-enough height for something like say an African expedition? Now of course, I am factoring in allowed protection like differential covers and skid plates and the like, but when I browse the web and see the plethora of expedition rigs in many parts of the world (generally Africa and South America) it looks like the Landcruisers and Defenders of the world get by just fine with tires that appear to be no larger than a stock Wrangler 32" tire. And yet, these vehicles (generally with bullet-proof diesels) conquer pretty terrible terrain while maintaining a pretty unimpressive-sized tire.
Land Rovers are less capable and less reliable than the myth that the Camel Trophy advertisement campaign had created. Landcruisers are much better.

In most offroad situations, wider tires have a clear advantage. I agree with Mark about the AT tires.

The Jeep engineers allow up to a 33" tire to fit within the wheel-wells with a stock suspension, well higher than many other vehicle brands, including the Jeeps of yesteryear. Is it capable enough, or not quite? This is the basis of my question.

Now of course, lifts do offer advantages in ground clearance and to many, an aesthetically pleasing effect, but how necessary is it from a utilitarian perspective of this very specific context? Do the cons of less fuel economy and more stress on the engine (well I guess gearing does help alleviate these issues) potentially outweigh the benefits of a stock-sized aggressive AT tire for an Overland-capable rig? At what point is good-enough found, from a practical standpoint?

Sure Dave from Alpha Expedition's rig is absolutely incredible as an expedition overland vehicle, but are 37" tires really a must? Do they place stress on other components that generally would have been more reliable if not in these given circumstances? Please, tell me what you think, my technical knowledge could always use improving.

The stock JKUR is very capable. Still, a better break over angle means less recovery time and reduced potential damage. We never know what obstacles to expect. It doesn’t take more than a stuck truck that blocks the way, which makes it necessary to bypass by getting off the dirt road – and across an unexpected obstacle.

You’ll obviously get more than one opinion… people perceive things differently, and are used to different type of terrains.

The way I see it, preparing a Jeep for overlanding, means preparing for a diversity of situations. I’d set the “good enough” point according to the most challenging obstacles expected in a specific region.
This takes a serious study of the planned routes. I’d also pay attention to how seasons change the routes.

For a heavily loaded JKU, I think that 3" to 4" lift would give good ground clearance after the sag.
12.5" wide tires, 33" or 35". I prefer the 35"s, which require replacing at least the front drive shaft and re-gearing.

2 spare wheels is a good idea.

As you posted a picture –
I’d suggest Aluminum bridge ladders, which are useful in more situations than sand ladders.

I’d also secure the equipment...

Last edited by GJeep; 07-15-2015 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Options

Over the past 17 years I have made overland trips (3 to 5 DAYS) in my '98 TJ with 5.5" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" tires, lockers, winch etc, etc. It was unstoppable and got about 12 MPG on a good day. Next was an '08 JKU "X" with 3" lift, lockers, 33" A/T tires, 3.73 gears, winch, etc. Never got stuck, but never felt really comfortable after two days out. It got about 15 MPG. Then I had a stock '12 JKU Sahara which I really liked at first, but when really put to the test off road, it left me high and dry - actually it was wet and muddy. I had to abandon it and ride with Mark. In December, I traded it in on a '15 JKU Rubicon which has been very impressive and has run with the big "modified" dogs on our local trails. Here is my conundrum, I am considering adding a 3" lift with 35" tires. It has the 4.10 gearing, lockers, etc. OR - I am considering leaving the JKUR stock and buying a second-hand off road trailer in the 1500 to 2000 LBS area to use on overland trips. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has towed an off-road camping trailer on an overland trip. Even more so if your JK was stock.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
Over the past 17 years I have made overland trips (3 to 5 DAYS) in my '98 TJ with 5.5" lift, 4.56 gears, 35" tires, lockers, winch etc, etc. It was unstoppable and got about 12 MPG on a good day. Next was an '08 JKU "X" with 3" lift, lockers, 33" A/T tires, 3.73 gears, winch, etc. Never got stuck, but never felt really comfortable after two days out. It got about 15 MPG. Then I had a stock '12 JKU Sahara which I really liked at first, but when really put to the test off road, it left me high and dry - actually it was wet and muddy. I had to abandon it and ride with Mark. In December, I traded it in on a '15 JKU Rubicon which has been very impressive and has run with the big "modified" dogs on our local trails. Here is my conundrum, I am considering adding a 3" lift with 35" tires. It has the 4.10 gearing, lockers, etc. OR - I am considering leaving the JKUR stock and buying a second-hand off road trailer in the 1500 to 2000 LBS area to use on overland trips. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has towed an off-road camping trailer on an overland trip. Even more so if your JK was stock.
Trailer Pros --
Ease of storage and camping.
Most of the gear stays home in the trailer, and attached to the Jeep only for overlanding/offroading.

Trailer Cons --
Decreased mpg.
Handling suffers.
May be problematic in tight turns. Impossible to turn back on a narrow trail.
Reduces the Jeep offroad capabilities.

Leaving the JKUR stock? - This depends on the terrain, and only you can know if the stock belly clearance is enough. If you need some lift, you'll still need it with a trailer.

I considered a small trailer a few times... but I know I'd get stuck on narrow trails with real tight turns, or no possibility to turn back.

Last edited by GJeep; 07-16-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll echo the 2.5" lift...great for a general purpose overland/mild rock crawler, but still drives well on the road and doesn't require new front/rear drivelines/adjustable control arms to get your pinion angles dialed in. A very simple, low-maintenance solution that doesn't add an extensive amount of aftermarket to the Jeep's suspension...you won't need to service a million grease fittings on the driveshafts and controls arms.

You'd be amazed at what the JKs can do with 2.5" lift, 35" tires and some high clearance fenders (either cut or flat flare style). Spring blocks or airbags on the rear may suit your needs if you load the Jeep down, either with a ton of cargo or a trailer.

I went with a trailer for my OL trips and built my Jeep as a capable OL and rock crawler so I could get to where I want, set camp, and still use the Jeep to wheel/explore; but I still have a ground tent for getting out to those places I can't take the trailer/base camp.

Quick Reply: Stock JK Height -- more than enough, or not quite for Overlanding