Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock jack laughable?

Old 05-23-2015, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Agree with what's been said. AEV makes a base that fits in the storage compartment. AEV Conversions 40306002AA - AEV Jack Base for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Have it, well the Mopar version. Its quite a bit bigger i believe. and I paid $55off eBay. I keep it in the back and use it as a step also.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=161297427061

Last edited by kjeeper10; 05-23-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Oh, that happened after you ran over whatever that was sticking through the tread. Looks like you lost air fast. The sidewalls show wear from running on that flat tire until you got to the side of the road. I used to work in my dad's tire shop. Seeing the inside of a tire and the sidewalls of tires brought in for repair can be quite telling. Nothing like pulling a gallon can full of shredded rubber from inside someones tire who is insisting they didn't drive it low or flat.........We'd see it all.
That's exactly what happened as soon as I saw the tpms sensor go off, I drove about 30 more seconds until I can pull to the side of the road. Are you saying the tire itself was under inflated and this could have contributed to the sidewall being torn?

Last edited by SF_E60; 05-23-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SF_E60
Attachment 611959

Found the culprit a piece of metal lodged inside the tire.
That'll do IT!!!!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's exactly what happened as soon as I saw the tpms sensor go off, I drove about 30 more seconds until I can pull to the side of the road. Are you saying the tire itself was under inflated and this could have contributed to the sidewall being torn?
No, Just saying the marking on the tire is indicative of the rim riding on the sidewall. You did that after the puncture, probably before the TPMS registered the airloss (they aren't exactly "instant" sometimes). You were rolling it flat long enough to break the bead loose from the rim. Hopefully the rim wasn't damaged. And luckily it looks like the tire didn't do any damage to the fender.

I had a friend once who thought cheap retreads were a value. He lost the casing on one on the back of his one-ton dually. The flapping casing complete ripped the fiberglass outer fender off of the truck before he got to the side of the road.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Have it, well the Mopar version. Its quite a bit bigger i believe. and I paid $55off eBay. I keep it in the back and use it as a step also.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=161297427061
That's the older AEV Version. The design was updated to fit the tub liner in '14.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:47 PM
JK Freak

No, Just saying the marking on the tire is indicative of the rim riding on the sidewall. You did that after the puncture, probably before the TPMS registered the airloss (they aren't exactly "instant" sometimes). You were rolling it flat long enough to break the bead loose from the rim. Hopefully the rim wasn't damaged. And luckily it looks like the tire didn't do any damage to the fender.

I had a friend once who thought cheap retreads were a value. He lost the casing on one on the back of his one-ton dually. The flapping casing complete ripped the fiberglass outer fender off of the truck before he got to the side of the road.
Looking at the wheel it doesn't even look like there's even scratches on it. Fenders fine. I called around to see if I can fix the spare before heading back to socal. Looks like this tire is special order wth? I called up discount tires, there's one available but it's 40 miles from me. Debating if I should just bite the bullet and just order one when I get home there's availability near my house in san marcos.

dang!!! completely ripped fiberglass outer fender!
Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

That's the older AEV Version. The design was updated to fit the tub liner in '14.
Not bad I think I might pick this up instead of the high lift jack since I'm still running stock bumpers.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:08 PM
JK Freak

Looking at the wheel it doesn't even look like there's even scratches on it. Fenders fine. I called around to see if I can fix the spare before heading back to socal. Looks like this tire is special order wth? I called up discount tires, there's one available but it's 40 miles from me. Debating if I should just bite the bullet and just order one when I get home there's availability near my house in san marcos.

dang!!! completely ripped fiberglass outer fender!
Tire companies regularly make OEM tires for a particular car/truck manufacturer in a particular size/name/configuration. Because these specialty tires are made for a particular vehicle and sold to the factory they are generally not as readily available from tire stores. Several of the Jeep JK/JKU factory tire sizes are unique to the JK/JKU, limiting marketability. Try hitting up Craigslist for a spare, or if there is a Jeep specific auto recycler in your area, they might be a good source for a single tire/wheel.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Tire companies regularly make OEM tires for a particular car/truck manufacturer in a particular size/name/configuration. Because these specialty tires are made for a particular vehicle and sold to the factory they are generally not as readily available from tire stores. Several of the Jeep JK/JKU factory tire sizes are unique to the JK/JKU, limiting marketability. Try hitting up Craigslist for a spare, or if there is a Jeep specific auto recycler in your area, they might be a good source for a single tire/wheel.
Might have to do that though it's Sunday and I have to head back tomorrow morning.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Might have to do that though it's Sunday and I have to head back tomorrow morning.
There is a Jeep specific recycler in Pacoima/Sun Valley. Can't remember the name.

Quick Reply: Stock jack laughable?