Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock engine rebuild question

Old 05-30-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock engine rebuild question

Do we have someone that has rebuilt their crapped-out factory engine? I am asking because from the failures I see from all the posts, it would be a great idea how to pull and rebuild my engine after it fails (already burning high rate of oil and no lifetime warranty). A lot of us are very mechanical yet do not have the technical knowledge on how to do the job.

This support would be a phenomenal tool for many of us.

Just a thought...
Old 05-30-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

I've only got 32k on mine, but when it goes, I'm going to rebuild with that $3200 stroker kit for sure!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

What stroker kit? I would like to know
Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by B09RUBI
What stroker kit? I would like to know
The company name is Hesco, $3169.00, and it's claim is the same power as the new penstar.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would buy a shop manuel and study that. It will explain how to pull the eng and re-install it. As well it will go into details on how to overhaul it. They are not to hard (rebuilt other engs, not the jeeps) to do but they are time consuming to do.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by pirate
I would buy a shop manuel and study that. It will explain how to pull the eng and re-install it. As well it will go into details on how to overhaul it. They are not to hard (rebuilt other engs, not the jeeps) to do but they are time consuming to do.
Yup. Don't even consider rebuilding without the proper tech data.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Shop Manual

Would the Shop Manual be written for a layman like me to understand? It is not as much a problem as having the aptitude as much as the professional understanding of the lingo. If I read it thoroughly you think I could get by? By the way, thank you all for the help!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeep_in
Would the Shop Manual be written for a layman like me to understand? It is not as much a problem as having the aptitude as much as the professional understanding of the lingo. If I read it thoroughly you think I could get by? By the way, thank you all for the help!!!
It is going to have a lot of numbers for all the timing, stroke, and torque values. If this is stuff that is already foreign, it will be pretty tough to pick up on the fly.

There really isn't much more building than measuring really.

A lot of tools are absolutely necessary that may not be considered your everyday ratchets and wrenches.

But as a starting point for it all, hit the literature. As others have said, you have to use it.

For all the time and labor, I would stroke it as well.

Last edited by sa29560; 05-30-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Shop manuals are usually written for the layman, but they do go into some detail that's hard to understand, or they just don't talk about what you really want to know. It's best to buy multiple manuals and use all of them. The older the vehicle the more choices you have. But the best one are the ones the dealer uses but they are the most expensive.
If you want to see if it's clear enough for you go and grab and manual from an a book store and thumb thru it and see if you understand what they are telling you. Just browse don't buy.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Absolutely will

Thank you for the support and explanations.

Quick Reply: Stock engine rebuild question