Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock 6 speed shift knob removal help

Old 08-04-2015, 12:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by sixgun4559
Right I definitely agree with you however mine had epoxy on them and you can maybe create a gap by breaking up the epoxy.
Epoxy? Gosh, I've had to pull those knobs at least a half dozen times in my Jeep for various work the past eight years--fix e-brake, replace clutch, install alarm, replace rear main seal, etc. Not factory that's for sure.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I may have broken mine. I used a strap wrench to rotate it 1/8 turn in each direction and then pulled it off. After my line-x, I stuck it back on and haven't had any problems with it. It doesn't rotate, still sits properly oriented, and it still is hard to get off but manageable by just pulling up on it with a bit of force, no hammer, wrenches, or towels needed. However, that is the transfer case knob as that is all I needed to remove to take out my center console.

So not for everyone, but worked for me.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-04-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm am most likely going to try this weekend if I do I will let you guys know which technique worked the best for mw thanks for all the replies
Old 08-05-2015, 02:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop the top, straddle the console, pull up on the knob, and try not to hit yourself in the crotch. A little bit of a twisting motion will make it come off a little easier.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
Drop the top, straddle the console, pull up on the knob, and try not to hit yourself in the crotch. A little bit of a twisting motion will make it come off a little easier.
And post a video.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Epoxy? Gosh, I've had to pull those knobs at least a half dozen times in my Jeep for various work the past eight years--fix e-brake, replace clutch, install alarm, replace rear main seal, etc. Not factory that's for sure.
Yea I think someone had mine changed out then went back to stock because it was actually threaded. Not the 4wheel stick tho I guess they left it alone.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

I changed my stock one and it came off super easy but the aftermarket one didn't fit so for now the stock one is back on
Old 08-09-2015, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jakeg08jeepjk
I changed my stock one and it came off super easy but the aftermarket one didn't fit so for now the stock one is back on
So how did you remove it? Pulled straight up? Twisted? Or something else?
Old 08-09-2015, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run the winch cable under the jeep, over the rear gate, across the interior and wrap the cable to the shift knob. Press a button. Lol.

Just kidding.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Compshooter

So how did you remove it? Pulled straight up? Twisted? Or something else?
Ya I put it in second and pulled and it came off super easy like it was off before and when I put it back on it make like almost a suction cup noise and went back on with ease as well

Quick Reply: Stock 6 speed shift knob removal help