Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock 160amp alternator?

Old 04-11-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock 160amp alternator?

Looking at kbb.com it looks that on JKs before 11/07/2007 it was an option (or standard) to get a 160amp alternator instead of the 140amp alternator. Anybody has the 160? I wonder why it went away?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Silverubi,
I purchased my Rubi around august of 07 and mine did come with the 160 amp alternator. I think like many things they cut costs on builds, there was a post of underhood lamps that someone had said they got when they purchased theirs and footwell lamps as well..... which I do not have! So it seems they have systematically cut expenses through the last 2 years not realizing it undermines the Chrysler name
because ultimately we have figured out in posts like this how much they have skimped on . I also read a post where if you pull back your roll bar padding you'll see that the roll bars are not even entirely painted...so naturally I checked mine and yup u guessed it mine are not sprayed. what does this say about the quality of a vehicle...your guess is as good as mine but I also know that every Jeep I've owned previous to this one( 4) have had the entire roll bars painted and engine compartment lights and footwell lights and other small differences that set the quality apart from my present Jeep.
So in some small way it's not surprising that they are in trouble as an automaker. Don't get me wrong I LOVE MY RUBICON but if this trend (removing items in a vehicle that were original equipment and then charging you to have them installed because they know you want them) continues It may be their ultimate demise .
Old 04-11-2008, 09:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2007 X's build sheet shows a 160amp alternator
Old 04-12-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Yes that is disappointing. I definitely appreciate those details on my TJ (underhood lights, footwell lights) given it doesn't have many other amenities being what it is. But cutting on the paint...

Quick Reply: Stock 160amp alternator?