Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Still gas odor after fill up

Old 02-05-2021, 02:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Lynne Bridges

The issue would be coming from either the fuel pump or the lines leading to the pump. The lines are not secured enough from the factory and over time, these connection can weaken cause fuel to be dumped onto the top of the gas tank. The only options would be to have someone drop the gas tank check the fuel pump and lines and see if there is any staining on top of the tank. If there's staining, its due to over flow or the weak connections and the fuel just sits on top of the tank for a while. The other option is pressure wash as much of the top of the tank after a fill up. Ideally, do not over fill the tank.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynne Bridges
I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and have gas fumes inside my Jeep. Took to dealership and they did a smoke test and also checked all lines and said no broken lines. Think they just assumed must be the fuel tank so after spending close to 2,000 was replaced. Well, problem still exist so have written down all the above suggestions and will be taking back to the dealership. I am a 68 year old female who loves her Jeep but am not knowledgeable about servicing it
myself. I am planning my yearly trip cross country in a few months so really want this issue resolved. Travel alone and the roads in Wyoming into Jackson hole can be pretty isolated. Really appreciate any suggestion you can give me when talking with the mechanic. Live in Columbia, SC
I'm in Newberry and my jeep has the gas issue. Were you able to get it fixed locally? What was it?

Quick Reply: Still gas odor after fill up