Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stering misalignment from bad to almost ok.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stering misalignment from bad to almost ok.

ok so long story short...

on one of my first drive offroad with my then stock sahara 2d , everything was ok. i drove in mud and groove. i mean the rail road type of groove you get when you drive often offroad and spin the wheel... sorry i lack some words ( french )
so back on he road my steering was of the clock by about 1 hour or like 20 to 30 degres. arrived at home and look at everything under the jeep and all look streight and ok. maby 4 months later when i got my 33.3 mud terrain i went wheeling again at a different spot but i got '' stock '' in those rail for maby 20 minutes. did everything to get it out and finaly i made it. back on the road and notice my steering is almost allright. go home and lok again and it seem fine to me. what happened ????

i realy dont understand.

by the way do you guys have a trick to get out of those rails when they are made of gray clay.?

thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check to see if your track link bolts are tight.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Check to see if your track link bolts are tight.
Did you mean drag link?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:36 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by guybergeron
ok so long story short...

on one of my first drive offroad with my then stock sahara 2d , everything was ok. i drove in mud and groove. i mean the rail road type of groove you get when you drive often offroad and spin the wheel... sorry i lack some words ( french )
so back on he road my steering was of the clock by about 1 hour or like 20 to 30 degres. arrived at home and look at everything under the jeep and all look streight and ok. maby 4 months later when i got my 33.3 mud terrain i went wheeling again at a different spot but i got '' stock '' in those rail for maby 20 minutes. did everything to get it out and finaly i made it. back on the road and notice my steering is almost allright. go home and lok again and it seem fine to me. what happened ????

i realy dont understand.

by the way do you guys have a trick to get out of those rails when they are made of gray clay.?

thanks
if i'm understanding you right, you may have bent your tie-rod. this would change your steering postions and screw up your toe-in setting. working your way out of the ruts, you may have put enough force on the tie rod to bend it again but out and forward. trust me, i have seen and experienced both situations. in any case, i would start there.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

well my tires are well aligned, as far as i can see. nothing is bent ... as i can see i will be intaling woods relocation bracket today so i will have a bether look.
can it be the pitman arm that striped is gear? i heard nothing. what is funny is that is its almost ok now and i never felt nothing wrong in the steering wheel. it drove streight. sometime it puls to the right but i thing its the shape of the road and my 33 tire that pull more than stock.

how can i fix that anyway. stronger parts or ?

thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check your draglink too. I seriously doubt that the pitman arm is stripped. The draglink connects to the pitman arm and has a collar with two bolts that tighten the collar. Check to see if the draglink collar is loose. The tie rods might be bent as well.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

your trackbar slipped, only takes slightest amount. tighen it to 125-130 lb-ft. if it gets looser and is able to slip during normal driving, you'll get death wobble.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Did you mean drag link?
Yup...thanks Hellbound.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

the same thing happened to me on the trail a couple of months ago and i've been wheeling with a bent tie-rod, so your not the only one and i've read a few people have had the same issue with no tell tale signs of anything visually wrong, i just adjusted it back to normal with the drag link , but im in the process of changing out the OE (bent) tie-rod for a RocKrawler one to match the drag link....good luck..
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

update: ok i installed the woods steering stabilizer relocalisation bracket and it went fine and my tie rod is find visually and today i looked at my stering wheel and its perfect ???? ?? ?? ?? i went for a snow ride last week and ... maby something happened and put the steering where it is supose to be ? i dont understand what part of the tie rod can slip and i need to retight? can someone poste a pic with a harrow to show me .

thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Stering misalignment from bad to almost ok.