Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Steering wheel/column squeak after first off-road adventure...

Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Steering wheel/column squeak after first off-road adventure...

We just got back from our family vacation (managed to get mom/dad and 2 brothers and their families together up in Keystone). Anyway, I planned to make a run up Garibaldi Gulch just south of Keystone and drive along the top of the mountains and end up in Montezuma. It was a big hit with the family but since I could only take 3 passengers at a time, we did the run twice. I'll be posting pics shortly, was a great time.

So, here's the problem; after the very first run the Jeep developed a consistent squeak coming from the steering column when it was turned. Doesn't matter if the car is running or not, it squeaks at the slightest turn.

As I took a closer look I noticed some groves and thought it was a simple mechanical squeak coming from plastic on plastic rubbing (maybe something had been jarred during the run???) but after I removed the the cowling the squeak continued.

Grooves in the plastic...

Squeak continues after removal of the cowling...

I've searched here and not found any direct solution other than taking it to the dealership. Any thoughts? If nothing else I'll take it in...

Thanks all!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clock spring would squeek on my TJ from time to time. Just a thought.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips.

Clock spring does sound like a possibility as there's nothing on the "outside" that looks like it's causing trouble.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Mine does that from time to time as well. I took it to the dealership. They told me it was the clock spring. They told me to come back if it got any worse and they would replace it.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quick follow-up to this...finally had a chance to get it to the dealership, was indeed the clock spring and was replaced without question or charge.

Kudos to Phil Long Denver Chrysler/Jeep, very pleasant experience.

I also asked about re-flashing the Jeep for the new addition of a hard top and they said no problem, bring it in when the top is on (later this winter). Found it interesting that they said it would take 30-45 minutes to flash. That sound right? I guess "flash" sounds faster than that to me

Quick Reply: Steering wheel/column squeak after first off-road adventure...