Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Steering Wheel Audio Controls & Step Button Not Working on 2011 Sahara...

Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Audio Controls & Step Button Not Working on 2011 Sahara...

somehow neither of these are now working. Read the manuel and it gives no tips. I'm going to have to take it in unless I can get this figured out by Wednesday. Any help greatly appreciated!! Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Steering Wheel Audio Controls & Step Button Not Working on 2011 Sahara...

somehow neither of these are now working. Read the manuel and it gives no tips. I'm going to have to take it in unless I can get this figured out by Wednesday. Any help greatly appreciated!! Thanks PS it has a MyGig with Nav and Bluetooth
Old 02-27-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is still under warranty (i am asuming it is) let the dealer mess with it. If it is something simple they will just show you and you will be on your way...or at least thats what they SHOULD do.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jbravo8
somehow neither of these are now working. Read the manuel and it gives no tips. I'm going to have to take it in unless I can get this figured out by Wednesday. Any help greatly appreciated!! Thanks
A bit of an aged thread but incase any one else has this problem, as it seems to be a common problem for the '11 JKs, Honk the horn. There seems to be a loose spring causing the issue. The act of homking the horn, or hitting the steering wheel seems to fix the problem until you can get it to the dealer for a more permanant solution.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep...I just hit my steering wheel when it happened to mine. Worked ever since.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So good. I just got back for a long day of easy wheeling and mine stopped working at some point during the day.... I was prepared to get under the dash and start unplugging and rep lugging back in everything going towards the steering wheel. Then I thought I should check here real quick

Went outside, hit the wheel 1 time and presto all is good..

So thanks for the help
And next time I'm near the dealer I will get them to write it up so it's on the books. I have a lifetime unlimited mile warranty but I still want it on the books
Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

This happened to my wife's 11 JKU not long after she got it. All the buttons (front and rear) on the wheel went dark. Service manager's reply was "honk the horn", which worked and brought them back to life for a couple of weeks until they went dark again. He told her that a fix was coming soon.

Eventually Chrysler released a software update to correct the problem sometime in September 2011, as I recall. She took it in and they applied the update and it's been fine since then. I can't find the code for the update on the work order, but I would think a little googling would find it.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does this every month or so. Just turn the wheel hard or jar the steering and it'll kick back in.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Audio Controls & Step Button Not Working on 2011 Sahara...