Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Steering shaft makes a difference in ride over bumps?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering shaft makes a difference in ride over bumps?

So lately I have been getting bad shaking over bumps (not DW).

After torquing EVERYTHING with a torque wrench I decided to replace the steering shaft.

I did not have the steering clunk (i know what that is) but it had been a year since I put the last shaft in and I know the U-Joints on that thing are not the longest lasting, so I figured why not.

I put in the new shaft and its MUCH better. Now the question is can the steering shaft really make the Jeep feel like its falling apart or is the new shaft just masking something? It seems if it wasn't the shaft it would be even more pronounced now because the new shaft is in tighter spec, no?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the upper and lower shafts replaced(under warrantee) for the clunk and the front end feeling loose. It really did tighten up the front end so I guess the answer is yes, it really can cause that much noise and vibration.

Dave
Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

How many miles did you have before you had them replaced? How much would they cost without warranty coverage?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

What caused you to replace the shaft this time? Did you find anything wrong with the one you took out?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by CitadelJeep04
How many miles did you have before you had them replaced? How much would they cost without warranty coverage?
About a year. I would say 13,000 miles. The shafts runs about $65 out of pocket.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:14 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by zoeydad
What caused you to replace the shaft this time? Did you find anything wrong with the one you took out?
If I rocked it back and forth by hand I could feel/hear it clunk. After installing the new one the clunk was gone.

I just fond that the u-joints on those shafts are fairly cheap. They wear overtime (although there was no visible play replacement made a difference.)

Quick Reply: Steering shaft makes a difference in ride over bumps?