Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Steering Gear Box

Old 07-25-2013, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Gear Box

Ok, it looks like my Steering Gear Box is going out. With the engine off, the steering wheel has about 1.5-2" of play in each direction (3"-4" total). That is, I can move the steering wheel that much without the tires moving at all. I had a friend move the wheel back and forth while I checked the steering shafts under the hood. They moved perfectly with the wheel - no delay or play at all (at least none that I could see). Next, I checked the Pitman Arm. The PA was barely moving at all - maybe 1/8" to 1/4" max. Once it engages, it's fine but there is a "dead zone" in the center. Also, (not sure if this is related) my steering lock no longer works. It used to be there, but now I have nothing..

I'm just looking for feedback on the symptom and solution(s). I have diagnosed some other steering issues related to geometry and camber - those are resolved. Still, while driving, my tires seem to "move" on their own and I can literally feel the play of the steering wheel (I move it an inch or two before I can feel the tire "engage" and turn the other way).. Again, the best way to describe it is a "dead zone" around the center position of the wheel..

Looks like I can get a new steering gear box for just under $500. Has anyone seen a good write-up on a steering box replacement? I had also heard it may be possible to tighten "the nut" on the steering box - any validity to that and would that maybe help?

Tie Rod and Drag Link are Synergy and are about 1-1.5 years old (can't remember exactly when I put them on) - I don't think it's them. Particularly because like I said - the PA isn't moving with the steering wheel.

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 07-25-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering Gear Box