Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Steering Box same on all or differnt on Rubi's

Old 03-03-2009, 09:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Box same on all or differnt on Rubi's

I was told by somebody today that the JK Rubi has a different steering box than the non Rubi JK's. They referred to the Rubi box as a Mercedes box. Does anybody know if there are two different steering boxes used on JK's?

I went to various on;ine Jeep parts sources but found no information. I wasn't able to stop by the dealer today to have them look up an Rubi and an X.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

I know the JK's have different steering box's depending on your build date.

I dont think it had anything to do with Rubicon or X's. They swapped them out sometime in the 07 builds
Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Is there any difference between them to speak off? Is one more partial to fail, say shearing the sector shaft, than the other?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

IIRC one was junk and the other was suppose to be better. Let me see if I can find the info.

I know there was a big price difference, The first time my JK was wrecked it snapped the shaft off. Maybe send Dave at Northridge a PM. I think thats who I talked to the first time around

Quick Reply: Steering Box same on all or differnt on Rubi's