Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stealership Recommends... Taken with grain of salt?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealership Recommends... Taken with grain of salt?

So i went to get a leaking diff sealed and amp flashed on my warranty, and while i was there the service tech recommended the following.

For my 30k service he recommended

Throttle Body Service - $129.95
Brake Fluid Flush - $125.00
Fuel Injection service - $25.00
And a New Air filter - $51.32

So how plausable are these... I can do my fuel injection service (guessing injection cleaner mix), i was going to go custom intake or K&N, but for the brake fluid flush and throttle service i'm not so sure how to proceed.

How can i drain the brake fluid?
What is a throttle body service... I'm guessing i open it up and clean it with something?

Besides that the front diff fluid has been replaced as part of fixing the leak. Does the rear diff need to be flushed as well? How about my trany fluids, power steering, and etc...
I know theres a few posts that goes through the rest pretty well, but i'm wondering if i "need them" or not. When did you guys do these maints?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Junkie

honestly I have never heard of a brake fluid flush.... ever on a new vehicle

redneck said something about fuel injection cleaning is not needed on these high pressure fuel systems

it is easy to clean your own throttle body if you see excessive build up in it

and I think everyone can change there own air filter.

So it just depends what you have more of....... time or money?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john smack
honestly I have never heard of a brake fluid flush.... ever on a new vehicle

redneck said something about fuel injection cleaning is not needed on these high pressure fuel systems

it is easy to clean your own throttle body if you see excessive build up in it

and I think everyone can change there own air filter.

So it just depends what you have more of....... time or money?
Every single BMW built since 2006 gets a brake fluid flush every 2 years. Brake fluid, being hydroscopic absorbs moisture in the air. Raising its boiling point and making it less effective. I do my vehicles about every year or so.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my first car in 1966... been a auto professional for a long time, I've never done a brake fluid flush , NO issues.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Got my first car in 1966... been a auto professional for a long time, I've never done a brake fluid flush , NO issues.
You just can't argue with that!

However, a lot of people have had brake system problems that a biannual flush could have prevented.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

can't speak from personal experience of having problems but brakes get very hot and any of water in the fluid can vaporize forming bubbles in the brake lines. bubbles are compressible leading to poor performance.

I believe GM has a lifetime fluid (because of additives) but Ford calls for changes at 36k miles. Others (BMW) say change it every 2 years. (That is my plan, 2 years from build date)

As for your air filter; just buy one (~$15) and do it yourself. Truly the easiest job on the vehicle!

The FI and TB stuff is ridiculous.

The rear diff is a little more involved but still very easy, see the write up. I would do the rear diff to match the front. The change is easy but be prepared to take the cover off and hose it down with brake cleaner if the old fluid is milky or otherwise nasty. By the way gear oil stinks, so a bad smell is not a problem.

EDIT: Also, fresh fluid is clear-amber; "wet" fluid will be darker and cloudy. And I know nothing about the DOT 5 stuff other than it is NOT compatible with DOT 3 or 4.

Last edited by Jiblet; 10-08-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-08-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Those f'ing morons are are a bunch of crooks. 50 dollars for an air filter and a 120 for a brake fluid flush. Im suprised they did not offer a new paint job for 6000. Its a jeep, learn to do all your own work. I refuse to let those morons touch my rig unless the computer frys.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
yra
JK Newbie

stealership employees have to take a course called "How to sleep at night without having a guilty conscious"
Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you definately have to change brake fulid. people never change it. like trans fluid. then you develop problems. changing brake fluid is pretty easy. they sell vaccum pumps with tanks for changing them. fill resovoir under hood with new fluid and suck through the bleaders on calipers. start with farthest corner and work twards driver front.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

After 46 years of driving, I have never changed the brake fluid on any car, truck, or Jeep (having owned 7 Jeeps). This is robbery. This will not void your warranty.

Quick Reply: Stealership Recommends... Taken with grain of salt?