Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stay in Recirculate

Old 07-30-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stay in Recirculate

I searched the forum but could not find anything. I also looked through the user manual. Is there any way to set it so the A/C will stay in recirculate mode when you turn the vehicle off? I know it is a minor thing but we live near a bunch of feed lots and I'd rather my Jeep not blow the smell inside. I know I am up the creek when I am topless but I don't notice it as much then anyways...
Old 07-30-2010, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Great question

I would do this mod in a heartbeat.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

There is a write-up which describes installing a momentary-on relay in parallel with the O/D off button, so the O/D will be off at every vehicle start, while preserving the function of the normal button.

You could do the same thing with the recirculate button if it is the same momentary-on design as the O/D button.

Here is the thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t-Modification

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-30-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wanted to do the same thing for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is for the fuel savings of having the compressor run less... as it does in recirculate. After considerable work, I could not find how they turn on the recirculate function with the button AND, I could not get the knobs off so I could get the switch panel open.

So, I came up with another way of doing it... If you pull the glove box and look to the far right, between the blower housing and the inner kick panel, you'll see two small wires (blue I recall) heading up beside the blower housing. I reasoned that they went to the motor that controls the recirculate door. Luckily, the door is not spring loaded such that if you shut the Jeep off with the door in recirculate, it stays there until the Jeep is restarted at which time the computer defaults back to "outside air" and the door closes.

What I did was cut one of the small wires and installed a small switch, mounted up under the right side of the dash. Now, I turn the AC to recirculate and then turn off the switch and the AC stays in recirculate regardless of what the indicator says on the dash. No codes are set and the door isn't getting worn out closing every time the Jeep is started.

I figure in the fall, I can turn the switch on and take advantage of the cooler weather but for the summer, I leave it in recirculate.

Ask if this isn't clear enough....

Steve
Old 07-30-2010, 02:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Nice work-around!
I like the addition of the switch so it can be quickly brought back to being normal.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yah, I thought it was a good option as well. Simple, relatively easy to do, no visible changes and it works. Now I don't pay any attention the recirculate button at all.

sd
Old 07-30-2010, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bravo I like this as well. Basically I've been hitting that recirculate button "on" at least twice a day since the end of May. A photo of the switch showing the wire color would be nice.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

As I recall, there are only two, small (I believe blue) wires going up the side of the blower box next to the kick panel. I took a chance and cut one and that stopped the door from working. I then added wire to the cut ends and ran it to a location just under the dash on the right and mounted a miniature switch on a homemade bracket and connected the wires to the switch and it was done. Not really much to see in a photo so I didn't take one.

I THINK cutting either wire will work but since the first one I cut worked, I didn't try the other but my bet is the pair of wires go up to the recirculate door motor so either wire would work.

Hope that helps,

sd
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the information! I will try this out this weekend if I can find a switch kicking around somewhere.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as an aside, hope everybody realizes that when you have the airflow at any setting that involves flowing the air to the windshield, the A/C is always on even if the A/C light/button is not on..

So when the weather is nice enough to not have to have the A/C on, i always run the air to the floor and face setting, saving on gas and engine load. Although i'll run it through the A/C once in a while to keep it clear.

Quick Reply: Stay in Recirculate