Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Starting Help

Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Help

I have a 2007 JK that will not start 1 out of 5 times, just makes a clicking noise. I replaced the battey, no luck. Dealer gave it back after two days, no luck. Before I replace the starter/solinoid i wanted to see if anyone has had the same issue.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2007 with 33,000 miles on it and have been having starting issues for about three weeks now. Just wont start sometimes, dealer checked battery and looked at the starter and said everthing looked good. I am kinda of leaning towards a problem in the shifter. Almost like trying to start it in gear.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecritz
I have a 2007 with 33,000 miles on it and have been having starting issues for about three weeks now. Just wont start sometimes, dealer checked battery and looked at the starter and said everthing looked good. I am kinda of leaning towards a problem in the shifter. Almost like trying to start it in gear.
You should get nothing (click) if the shifter is not in neutral or park. If you are hearing a click, the Jeep knows it isn't in gear. Sounds like its on the output side of the starter control. Relay/starter/solenoid.

Many people seem to have this issue. Almost wish mine would do it so i can figure it out lol
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You got an automatic? Put it in neutral and see if it'll crank when it does that.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You got an automatic? Put it in neutral and see if it'll crank when it does that.
I've been having this too for a couple months. I have an automatic and put it into neutral, it started right up. So what does that mean? Camshaft sensor problem?
Old 09-02-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MELONHED
I've been having this too for a couple months. I have an automatic and put it into neutral, it started right up. So what does that mean? Camshaft sensor problem?
Camshaft sensor is on the engine. By moving the shifter and it immediately worked, you can almost say it's the neutral safety switch. However it could still be a "fluke" and it just wanted to work anyway. If you can consistently get the "ptu it in neutral" to work, i think you found your problem..
Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mkjeep

Extactly what I was thinking...if it was an automatic based on Toad's Thread.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Extactly what I was thinking...if it was an automatic based on Toad's Thread.
Yeah, I think Toad was getting out and rocking the whole jeep at first and then it would crank.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Although, it has started without putting it into neutral as well. Sometimes it just take a few more clicks.

Quick Reply: Starting Help