Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Starter Motor Whine and Turn Signal issues

Old 05-11-2009, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning everyone.

I had this same exact issue....the turn signal would typically "stick" when I didn't engage it fully, meaning when I would just put some pressure on the turn signal handle for a quick lane change. Then it would get caught in cycle of lefts and rights as I flipped it back and forth to get it to stop.....I am certain the traffic behind me thought I was insane!

The good news is the dealer replaced the entire turn signal "stem and cam" under warranty.....no more issue. Seems like Chrysler must have had a batch of bad parts that made it into our JKs.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The starter whine sounds normal. M9ine does it, as did my Cobra. The starter cranks the engine, and when you let the key go the starter gear disengages the flywheel and speeds up slightly and makes an audible whine as it free spins and whines down.

For the turn signal it sounds like the lane change feature. If you keep hitting the left signal to turn off the right, and back to the right to turn off the left, it will be an endless process to get it to stop going off. It should click 3 or 4 times just by bumping the turn signal stalk left or right, even though the stalk has returned to center. Bump it left and it should flash a few times, then stop. Try to just not od anything, see what happens. If it DOES keep going off continuously it is indeed broken.

Last edited by highoctane; 05-11-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same turn signal issue. I thougt maybe it was just my Jeep, but apparently I was mistaken. This is annoying as can be, but I have just lived with it.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same problems. My signal only started doing that after I had replaced it with a new arm after hitting with my knee and snapping it in half..lol. so mabye it is a manufacturing defect?

Quick Reply: Starter Motor Whine and Turn Signal issues