Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Starter Motor Whine and Turn Signal issues

Old 05-02-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Motor Whine and Turn Signal issues

I took my Jeep in to the dealer for repair (Thermostat) and thought I would mention a couple problems that have been annoying me like crazy! One is the turn signal will stick when I hold the signal lightly for lane changes. When I try to reset it by moving the signal arm to the oposite direction the signal sticks on that direction. The cam works and resets the signal back. Anyways... I told the dealership service guy about this and he said they all do it and it's a mfg issue. He also said it would be pointless to replace.... WTF! My Jeep is under warranty shouldn't it be replaced? Maybe if more were replaced Jeep would Re-Design the signal sensor and recall.

As for the starter motor. After the ignition engages and the motor fires the starter motor lets off a long whine. Kinda like a bad Starter on my old 63' Chrysler. I told the dealership about it and they said ALL new Jeeps do this and it's normal. I never heard of this before? Are your Jeep starters noisy like this? Any advice would be great.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

I don't have the starter motor whin but I do have the turn signal issue. One other thing that bothers me is when I try to take it out of park the shifter does not want to move. I have to take my foot off the brake and reapply the brake once or twice and I can get it out of park. Only does it every once in a while, for now.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm confused (usually anyway but no matter) you guys aren't talking about the 3 blink auto lane change feature are you?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by berg
I'm confused (usually anyway but no matter) you guys aren't talking about the 3 blink auto lane change feature are you?
I don't think so... It will blink forever until I complete the signal all the way.
At least that's how it is on my Jeep.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mrjk
I don't have the starter motor whin but I do have the turn signal issue. One other thing that bothers me is when I try to take it out of park the shifter does not want to move. I have to take my foot off the brake and reapply the brake once or twice and I can get it out of park. Only does it every once in a while, for now.

Same here on the shifter release. It's like the sensor cannot tell the brake is depressed. It also doesn't matter how far you press the brake either!
I'm not at all happy with the automatics in the JK's Chrysler could have done a lot better. Maybe a 5spd with a sport shift option. I should have waited for the 2009 so I could have gotten the manual. But I couldn't pass up on a fully equipped Sahara for $21K NEW.

If I can get more people to say they don't have the starter whine I can bring it in again with a print out to get the dealership to replace my starter. I had a 2007 Caliber R/T and a 2006 Laramie pickup and neither had the whine after I started them. I say it's going out soon.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 PM
JK Newbie

So anyone have Starter Motor whine issues with their JK?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Firesweep, I've had that same problem happen on occasion and it's very annoying. I can't make it happen very often and not sure what causes it. I do think however I've found a trick to stopping it when it happens, and that is to pull toward yourself or push forward on the signal arm, as if you're turning on the flash-to-pass headlight beams. That signal seems to override the turn signal being stuck. Give that a try. More of a band aid than a fix but it might work for you too.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

My left turn signal sticks even if I'm turning in a complete circle, it will never shut off like it's supposed to. I also have the shifting out of park issue. Sure wish these things would get resolved.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My turn signal does not stick so you can tell your dealer it is not normal.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

My turn signal sticks in both directions. I also have the starter motor whine but only when it is cold out. below 30 degrees.

Quick Reply: Starter Motor Whine and Turn Signal issues