Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

start problem

Old 12-05-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default start problem

HELP ALL YOU ALL! Today I started my 08 Rubicon, backed out of the garage and shut it off. About 20 minutes later I tried to start it and just got a loud 'click' then soft whirring, then click again, then whirring. This sequence of clicks and whirring keeps repeating. The noise seems to be from the starter. I have 12.8 volts at the battery, and cleaned the connections. Could the starter go out that quck. I have never had any start problems before. Thanks
Old 12-05-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the starter is not engaging into the flywheel. Pull the starter and check the teeth on the flywheel, if all is well manualy check the starter to see if the cog is ejecting properly, or take it in and have it tested. My bet is on a new starter. Yes, they can go that quick
Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default sucks

just went through this today, my battery was shot, or a cell in it was so not enough amps to kick the jeep over. i tried jumping and it wouldn't work but my battery also showed 10.8 v. had the battery tested and it would not accept a charge. dropped a new battery in hooked it up and works fine. still bothers me it wouldn't start even with jumper cables on, i think the cpu in the jeep knows better..... mine would power my amp lights etc but just a loud single click when trying to start. i would yank the battery out and have it tested. edit...mine is also an 08 x purchased oct 2007.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Did you check the ground to the battery and starter?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by aclokwerk
just went through this today, my battery was shot, or a cell in it was so not enough amps to kick the jeep over. i tried jumping and it wouldn't work but my battery also showed 10.8 v. had the battery tested and it would not accept a charge. dropped a new battery in hooked it up and works fine. still bothers me it wouldn't start even with jumper cables on, i think the cpu in the jeep knows better..... mine would power my amp lights etc but just a loud single click when trying to start. i would yank the battery out and have it tested. edit...mine is also an 08 x purchased oct 2007.
You got the click, then the whirring sound, too?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:21 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the feedback. The battery voltage is 12.8. I did remove the cable clamps and cleened the terminal posts and clamps. I also checked the water level and it was at the bottom of the fill necks. Yes, the starter? will make aloud click, then some soft whirring for approximatly 3-5 seconds, click and whir again, and again and again, as long as I had the key in the start position. I have not had time to remove the starter yet, but could it be a bad connection somewhere? Thanks again all.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Thanks for all the feedback. The battery voltage is 12.8. I did remove the cable clamps and cleened the terminal posts and clamps. I also checked the water level and it was at the bottom of the fill necks. Yes, the starter? will make aloud click, then some soft whirring for approximatly 3-5 seconds, click and whir again, and again and again, as long as I had the key in the start position. I have not had time to remove the starter yet, but could it be a bad connection somewhere? Thanks again all.
Just because it has 12 volts doesn't mean the battery is good. The starter need amperage to work too. I would try to jump it first. If that doesn't work tap on the started with a hammer while someone turns the key. Just make sure you trust them since you'll be underneath a running car!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You got the click, then the whirring sound, too?
Yep...sucks 120$ and a new battery latter everything else checked out fine once battery installed no codes thrown no starting issues etc. it really freaked me out cause i had just bought and programed 2 new keys three days prior to this thought it might of been related but, none of my keys worked. and as i think i mentioned mine would not jump off either granted i have the idiot proof jumper cables so maybe they would not let that much amperage through but mine would not jump to start either...soon as i swapped the battery in and reconnected everything worked like a champ.

Last edited by aclokwerk; 12-09-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

This may not help your situation, but I've got an auto and it doesn't start from time to time. I move it to neutral and starts right up every time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
Old 12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ben1284
This may not help your situation, but I've got an auto and it doesn't start from time to time. I move it to neutral and starts right up every time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
When you have the no-start, you don't even get a click, right?

Quick Reply: start problem