Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Standard or Sunrider top Your opinion

Old 06-27-2009, 04:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally like the sunrider. If you leave one day and its raining but clears up in the afternoon throw the sunrider back. Good to go
Old 06-27-2009, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

i've got the sunrider on my 2 door . i love it . this year has sucked so far as weather is concerned . rain almost every other day . i only put the top down if it's going to be clear for atleast 3 day's .. but then again that's becuase i live @ work ..
Old 06-28-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sunrider or not

I had a regular top and finally got the Sunrider after 6 months of asking. The window sticker said Sunrider, I love it. My only question is, is it necessary to release the side release pins to fold it back? I just undo the lever clamps above the visors release the drip rails and fold it onto itself. I released the side pins and double folded it and it took me 40 minutes to get it re-latched. I realize the top is brand new so maybe after some warm weather and time it will stretch a bit and get easier.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

You only need to release the side pins if you are folding it all the way back. If you wait to tuck the flaps into the body at the back left and right until you have the sides and front latched, you may find it easier.

The sunrider is great for uncertain weather as I can pull off the highway in a downpour and have it back up in 1 minute which should help this cell phone last longer than the last. Last phone took a 100 mile ride to the cape on the front bumper in a rain storm.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
I had a regular top and finally got the Sunrider after 6 months of asking. The window sticker said Sunrider, I love it. My only question is, is it necessary to release the side release pins to fold it back? I just undo the lever clamps above the visors release the drip rails and fold it onto itself. I released the side pins and double folded it and it took me 40 minutes to get it re-latched. I realize the top is brand new so maybe after some warm weather and time it will stretch a bit and get easier.
If you have it all the way back and need to re latch the side pins, I've found the key to to slam it down and get it to latch.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone with a Sunrider go beyond one fold? If I release the side pin and fold the top in a Z it is very hard to re-clamp. I suppose it will loosen up a bit as the weather warms and the top stretches a bit.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

Don't know if you have a two door or a four door. I can only speak for the two door. The side pins do not get unlatched to use the Sunrider top on a two door, only if you are going to fold the entire top down. Just unlatch the windshield latches and unhook the sides rails over the door. Be sure to slide the hinge cover forward on the side bows and fold the top back. The side rails are in two parts so you can fold the top at the break in the plastic rail. On a four door, someone else will have to chime in here, I have no idea how a four door top works.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

2dr sunrider is quick and easy, I'd always rather have the top off, but when I don't have time to fart with the windows it's nice to still get some air and sun.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

I have the sunrider and it is great. much quicker than the full top to take down and for the back window, I just roll it up and use the two fasteners that came with the jeep (in the glovebox) and stay buttoned to the top roll bar. It is easy.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racer83l
what I hate about the sunrider, is the fact that you are supposed to open the back window if your going to drive above 40 MPH. to me that defeats the purpose. the rear window is a pain unless its really warm out
This is the thing that made no sense to me either. The side windows are simple to pop out, the only thing that takes some time for me is the rear window. That being said I bought a standard top used, I wouldn't mind having a sunrider but I always have the top down or completely off unless its raining (doors always off too), so I don't know how much I would even use the sunrider function even if I had it.

Quick Reply: Standard or Sunrider top Your opinion