Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Have you experienced the "Stall Bug"?
Yes, I have experienced the stall bug
54.44%
No, I have not experienced the stall bug
45.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

"Stall Bug" Poll

Old 04-23-2007, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Stall Bug" Poll

After experiencing the "Stall Bug" this weekend, I am curious to find out how many of you have experienced the "Stall Bug". I read through the posts and threads on it, and I think I came up with about 50 people. I also looked on safercar.gov and found about 30 official complaints. I am taking mine in tomorrow, and if I find anything out, I'll be sure to post the info. I am worried, however, because from what I've read, it sounds like there's no fix at this point.

Anyway, here is a poll to find out how many have or have not experienced the "Stall Bug".

Added: Also read my post below about an investigation into a "Stall Bug" affecting Commanders---sounds very familiar...

Last edited by jckid; 04-23-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

If this is a dumb idea please disregard, but maybe there should be 4 categories: Yes and have cruise, Yes and dont have cruise, No and have cruise and No and don't have cruise. Also, maybe you should have to have at least 2000 miles on your jeep to vote, cuz a vote from a new guy will only skew the poll.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone votes no today and stall tomorrow they can't go back and change their vote.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Default NHTSA Investigation into Commander "Stall Bug"

I have spent my morning researching the "Stall Bug" issue, and I came across some info I thought you guys might be interested in. It seems that the NHTSA has opened an investigation into a "Stall Bug" that is affecting Commanders. Here's the link:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ct/results.cfm

It sounds very much like the issue we're experiencing in our JK's.
* * * * * (added)
It looks like the link didn't work quite right, so here is the text copied from the site:

ODI HAS RECEIVED 50 VEHICLE OWNER COMPLAINTS ALLEGING INCIDENTS OF ENGINE STALL WHILE DRIVING IN MODEL YEAR (MY) 2006-2007 JEEP COMMANDER VEHICLES (SUBJECT VEHICLES). THIRTEEN OF THE COMPLAINTS REPORTED ONE OR MORE INCIDENTS OF ENGINE STALL WITH A SIMULTANEOUS LOSS OF SOME OR ALL LIGHTING SYSTEMS, INCLUDING HEADLAMPS. ONE ENGINE STALL RESULTED IN A VEHICLE CRASH. THE MAJORITY OF COMPLAINT VEHICLES WERE EQUIPPED WITH 4.7L V8 ENGINES, BUT SIMILAR COMPLAINTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED FOR THE 3.7L V6 AND THE 5.7L V8 ENGINES. NEARLY HALF OF THE COMPLAINTS INDICATED THAT THE STALL EVENTS OCCURRED AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS AND IN TRAFFIC. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE FREQUENCY, SCOPE AND POTENTIAL SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.

Last edited by jckid; 04-23-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 AM
JK Junkie

very interesting. Keep up the research. Mine stalls quite a bit! annoying as HE77
Old 04-23-2007, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jckid
I have spent my morning researching the "Stall Bug" issue, and I came across some info I thought you guys might be interested in. It seems that the NHTSA has opened an investigation into a "Stall Bug" that is affecting Commanders. Here's the link:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ct/results.cfm

It sounds very much like the issue we're experiencing in our JK's.
* * * * * (added)
It looks like the link didn't work quite right, so here is the text copied from the site:

ODI HAS RECEIVED 50 VEHICLE OWNER COMPLAINTS ALLEGING INCIDENTS OF ENGINE STALL WHILE DRIVING IN MODEL YEAR (MY) 2006-2007 JEEP COMMANDER VEHICLES (SUBJECT VEHICLES). THIRTEEN OF THE COMPLAINTS REPORTED ONE OR MORE INCIDENTS OF ENGINE STALL WITH A SIMULTANEOUS LOSS OF SOME OR ALL LIGHTING SYSTEMS, INCLUDING HEADLAMPS. ONE ENGINE STALL RESULTED IN A VEHICLE CRASH. THE MAJORITY OF COMPLAINT VEHICLES WERE EQUIPPED WITH 4.7L V8 ENGINES, BUT SIMILAR COMPLAINTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED FOR THE 3.7L V6 AND THE 5.7L V8 ENGINES. NEARLY HALF OF THE COMPLAINTS INDICATED THAT THE STALL EVENTS OCCURRED AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS AND IN TRAFFIC. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE FREQUENCY, SCOPE AND POTENTIAL SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.

If it was clearly the fault of the engine; who pays the insurance?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
If it was clearly the fault of the engine; who pays the insurance?
The insurance company could go after DC. They of course would need to prove it.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CLACKEY573
very interesting. Keep up the research. Mine stalls quite a bit! annoying as HE77
I am really hoping that the NHTSA will realize that the JK's seem to have the same issue as the Commanders and add them to the investigation.

I was lucky that mine stalled while I was stopped. I am scared to death about the possibility of it happening while on the freeway or a winding mountain road. I am trying to go over scenarios in my mind and trying to plan how to react if various situations arise. I shouldn't have to do that--none of us should have to. A brand new vehicle should be safe to drive.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jckid
I am really hoping that the NHTSA will realize that the JK's seem to have the same issue as the Commanders and add them to the investigation.

I was lucky that mine stalled while I was stopped. I am scared to death about the possibility of it happening while on the freeway or a winding mountain road. I am trying to go over scenarios in my mind and trying to plan how to react if various situations arise. I shouldn't have to do that--none of us should have to. A brand new vehicle should be safe to drive.
The first time was bad. I dodn't know what happened and I was in traffic on the 210 @ the 57. I was in the carpool lane and moving pretty good when it happend. It happed so fast but I was so distracted by it I can easily see someone crashing as a result. I know it's coming now so no big deal for me. I have had to explain the issue to my wife on what to expect. She is scared to death of it now. $30k and I have little confidence in it.

How and with whom do we start filing our complaints?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

How and with whom do we start filing our complaints?[/QUOTE]

You can file the complaint on www.safercar.gov or by calling 1-888-327-4236.

I actually just got off the phone with them. I guess I'm on a mission today!! I decided to call them and point out that they have 30 complaints on the Wrangler that sound almost identical to the Commander investigation. Hopefully by bringing it to their attention, they will at least take a look at it.

To see the 30 complaints, you have to look at all Wrangler categories (i.e. Wrangler 4-DR 4X4, Wrangler 2-DR 4X4, Wrangler 4-DR 4X2, Wranger X RHD 4X4, and Wrangler).

Quick Reply: "Stall Bug" Poll