Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

squealing sound coming from rear of JK

Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squealing sound coming from rear of JK

I own a 2007 JK 4 door. I'm just at about 60,000 on the clock. (I drive quite a bit due to work) Just recently I've been hearing a squealing noise from the rear driver side area. Seems like it is around the wheel area. It's very high pitched and almost sounds like circular saw. I can't seem to pinpoint it, but I have noticed that it only makes noise when I am rolling. The faster I accelerate, the louder the squeal. Can anyone shed any light on this or share a similar experience? I'm trying to get rid of this sound and it's driving me crazy.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

Sounds to me like you need some brakes. There are built in "feelers" in brakepads that tell you when they are needing replacement.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brakes or rear wheel bearings.
The brake pads and rotors are pretty easy to check. If you have not replaced them yet, and are almost at 60K. That would be my first thought.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lorrel
brakes or rear wheel bearings.
The brake pads and rotors are pretty easy to check. If you have not replaced them yet, and are almost at 60K. That would be my first thought.
Thank you for the replies. Would it still make that awful sound even if I'm not pressing the brakes? Someone else told me catalytic converter from driving on "E" quite a bit. That's the first time I've heard of something like that as well. Best way to put it is that it sounds like I'm dragging a piece of metal.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Would have to say brakes as well.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by just kidding
Thank you for the replies. Would it still make that awful sound even if I'm not pressing the brakes? Someone else told me catalytic converter from driving on "E" quite a bit. That's the first time I've heard of something like that as well. Best way to put it is that it sounds like I'm dragging a piece of metal.
If the pads are bad they will always squeal. Sometimes the squealing will get quieter if you depress the brakes slightly. Best way to check is jack up the rear and take the tire off. The pads are quite easy to see.

Quick Reply: squealing sound coming from rear of JK