Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Squeaky noise when going over bumps and when breaking

Old 06-30-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky noise when going over bumps and when breaking

Hey guys. Just recently I've noticed that when I go over bumps I can hear a sqeak from time to time. It sounds like its coming from the front of the jeep on the driver's side. Any ideas?

Also, I've had an ongoing issue with my breaks sqeaking on the passenger side of my jeep when the break pedal is about halfway depressed. If I push a little harder to get the jeep to stop sooner it doesn't sqeak. I've had it in several times and the dealer is at a loss. It's really starting to annoy...Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpizzle10
Hey guys. Just recently I've noticed that when I go over bumps I can hear a sqeak from time to time. It sounds like its coming from the front of the jeep on the driver's side. Any ideas?

Also, I've had an ongoing issue with my breaks sqeaking on the passenger side of my jeep when the break pedal is about halfway depressed. If I push a little harder to get the jeep to stop sooner it doesn't sqeak. I've had it in several times and the dealer is at a loss. It's really starting to annoy...Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
With your brakes squeaking, I bet it's just dust between the pad and rotor. Try either blowing compressed air between the pad and rotors or using a pressure washer. if this does not work try some anti-squeal brake lubricant on the pads

Does your Jeep have stock suspension? The squeak going over bumps could be several things in the front end, shocks, swaybar links, Could be some dust/mud built up on a moving component that is causing the squeak.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
With your brakes squeaking, I bet it's just dust between the pad and rotor. Try either blowing compressed air between the pad and rotors or using a pressure washer. if this does not work try some anti-squeal brake lubricant on the pads

Does your Jeep have stock suspension? The squeak going over bumps could be several things in the front end, shocks, swaybar links, Could be some dust/mud built up on a moving component that is causing the squeak.
Yeah, still have the stock suspension...looking to upgrade within the next month. I kind of had a feeling it would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack when it comes to the sqeak in the front end.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

The squeek in the brakes is common with all oem chrysler brakes. Good ceramic pads will fix the problem.
The squeek in the front end is a front end suspension piece going or gone bad. Check the tie rod ends, steering linkage ends, etc.
I just had about $4000. worth of work done to my dodge charger due to squeeking coming from the front end when I travel over bumps. This is also a common chrysler problem.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without any way to isolate the squeak you might have to crawl under and look to see if anything looks worn out. If that doesn't work then you get a wrench out and try to tighten everything in the general area. You could be surprised and find something that has come loose, but still looks ok on a quick look over.

Other than that your choices are upgrading your suspension or going to the stealership.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by remark
Without any way to isolate the squeak you might have to crawl under and look to see if anything looks worn out. .
Yes, crawl under the jeep and if you have a friend or family member get them to hop up on the stock bumper or push up and down on the bumper to make the jeep bounce up and down to simulate a bump.... you may find the location of the squeak.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by remark
Without any way to isolate the squeak you might have to crawl under and look to see if anything looks worn out. If that doesn't work then you get a wrench out and try to tighten everything in the general area. You could be surprised and find something that has come loose, but still looks ok on a quick look over.

Other than that your choices are upgrading your suspension or going to the stealership.
That's probably what I'll end up doing. Hopefully my update to the teraflex 2.5 lift with shocks will take care of that.....I like that "stealership." Isn't that the truth!
Old 07-03-2010, 01:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Last weekend I finally resolved a months old squeaking / creaking that had been driving me nuts. It occurred under the same conditions as yours. It was the bushings on the sway bar where it mounts to the frame. Cleaned them, soaked them with silicone lube and all is back to silent running once again.

67k mi. I'm kinda proud that I've kept her squeak, rattle and clank free so far.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had creeking etc when on the brakes/getting on the gas, over bumps.

The bolts at the top of the a-pillars, that you unbolt to fold the windshield down, can get loose. Check them and put a socket on them.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the same problem when going over bumps. i know for sure its my suspension tho.

my squeaking is coming from my shocks. last time i went to the dealership for my oil change and a checkup, the guys told me that my front shock (forgot which side) was leaking? or something....i forgot. but he said its going out and i will eventually need to replace it. im gonna upgrade to rubi springs and shocks soon anyways, so i figured eh. might as well deal with it now.

Quick Reply: Squeaky noise when going over bumps and when breaking