Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Squeaky Brakes

Old 04-14-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Brakes

I only have about 6000 to 7000 miles on my new 4d jk. it is just a x, nothin special. Well anyway, I have noticed that my front brakes or squeaking, which seems ridiculous for my mileage. Does anyone know whats up with my brakes?

Will Woody
Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by freakybutkewl
I only have about 6000 to 7000 miles on my new 4d jk. it is just a x, nothin special. Well anyway, I have noticed that my front brakes or squeaking, which seems ridiculous for my mileage. Does anyone know whats up with my brakes?

Will Woody
Check all your brakes for pad wear, and corrosion on the discs.

Sometimes mine will squeal a little in slow traffic. Most of the time they are quiet. They never squeal when braking more than just lightly.

Under what conditions do your brakes squeal?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Former Member

How often do you go through an automatic wash or through puddles after driving in city traffic for a while?
It's not uncommon for warm brakes doused with water that they will grab/squeal a bit after that.
Just a thought I had when you mentioned how new the rig is.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

op here. my brakes squeal when i go to brake, at first they do not squeak, but then when i am going slow they do
Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by freakybutkewl
op here. my brakes squeal when i go to brake, at first they do not squeak, but then when i am going slow they do
I am having this issue right now. My pads and rotors look fine. But when I slow down 1-5mph they begin to squeak. What was your resolution?
Old 10-01-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

My Jk 10,000 miles brakes have been check twice by the dealer and by an Independant shop. Pads and rotors fine. The breaks make noise when I turn left and sometimes at low speed without pressing them

Any ideas what can it be ?

Corrosion behind the pads ?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Tuto,
I've read on other posts that if your brakes are consistantly squeeling when making a turn that it is an indication that your axle may be bent. I found this on a couple of jeep posts as well as other vehicles posts when trying to find out why mine are making a low random squeel. I believe it has something to do with axle shaft tweaking when turning and your rotors coming in contact with your pads. I hope I am worng about your situation but you may want to look into it.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't take much to cause them to squeak. Check if pads are glazed, check shims to make sure there is no side to side play in pad, clean rotors up, spray everything down with brake cleaner, etc.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

I'm not saying it is definitely a bent axle, but when brakes are always squeaking on turns than it is usually something more serious than dirty pads. The D30 axles have a reputation of easily bending because of the thin walls. I was reading in a thread about a guy who had 1500 miles on his new X when he bent an axle from only a couple times out. It seems more like a quality control problem from Dana than a design issue. It's also possible that the bearings have started to go out causing play when you turn. To check for that you just need to jack the wheel up and grab the top and bottom and see if there is play.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Freak

Squeaking when turning can also be just grit around the brakes. I'v had that problem after offroading sometimes and a few whacks with a rubber mallet usually took care of it.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes